Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Thu 05-May-16 10:46:17
Print Post

Where to buy ethernet cable?

[link to this post]

Any suggestions on where to buy moderate lengths of good quality indoor Ethernet cable, say 50m? I finally have permission to take up floorboards after one run in too many with my homeplugs.

Cat 6 or 5e? It's to distribute my 15 Mbps broadband to an access point. I might plug a NAS into it too.

I actually only need about 30m, even putting in a cable and a spare, so I don't want to buy a standard 305m drum.

Thanks,
John
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 11:38:04
Print Post

Re: Where to buy ethernet cable?

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

Have you got a ScrewFix Direct near you? They do 50m cat5e for £16.25 according to their website.
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Thu 05-May-16 11:48:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes and their modular faceplate things are well priced and seem to meet with approval too.

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Thu 05-May-16 11:53:54
Print Post

If you trust eBay, then you can get 100m of (internal) cat5e for around £12 (including postage) from some sellers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-May-16 13:06:30
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

No matter of the source always ensure it is NOT CCA (copper coated aluminium) this works but for longer distances and higher speeds can become an issue. Cat6 with its internal divider can be a bit more of a pain to work with, and reasonable Cat5E should be good for Gigabit - but if rewiring a home totally Cat6 is always a good future proof bet. If a luxury home then I'd suggest fibre with media converters.

Also if running it internally make sure you buy internal grade and a seperate cable for any outdoor work. Outdoor cable is UV rated so survives longer outside, but is hazardous in terms of fumes if it is in a fire.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-16 13:20:24
Print Post

We like DCDI. http://www.dcdi.co.uk/

Good service and fair pricing.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-May-16 09:31:12
Print Post

Don't put in a single run ... put a second in there. You may not need it today, however next year you may find a need and for the cost of a few metres of cable you save all the hassle.

And do you need to lift boards on the ground floor? One easier way with a suspended floor is to get a decent 75 to 100 mm hole saw and use that. Make the hole, feed cables through ... screw a pair of 50x25 battens to the sides of the hole,, drop the cut out back in and a pair of fixing screws.

If you are going through joists - check the rules and make sure you are well down and the appropriate distance from the ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 06-May-16 14:32:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Make the hole, feed cables through ... screw a pair of 50x25 battens to the sides of the hole,, drop the cut out back in and a pair of fixing screws

Just out of interest, I don't quite get that

1) Make the hole (got that)
2) Feed cable through (Got that)
3) Screw a pair of battens to the sides (Dont get that)...For strength??
4) Drop the cut out back in (dont get that) Make a semi circle out of what you cut out??

IAn
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-May-16 14:46:00
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

You have a circular hole and a circular cut out that is about 4mm less in diameter.

The battens are screwed on the underside of the floor at the sides of the hole - you end up with a slot (with rounded ends) about 60x100. The cut out then rests on the battens.

Does it make more sense?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 06-May-16 15:12:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Just re-read your previous post, I've had nothing to do with suspended floors (concrete and quarry tiles in my house) but I get it now, Drill down vertically.....
  Print Thread

Jump to