Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sliv_ar
(newbie) Tue 17-May-16 09:26:59
Print Post

Fibre Speed to Garden Office.

[link to this post]

Hi,

First post and hopeful someone out there can shed some light.

I've put a garden office outside, it's approx 35m from the house. The buidling has power and as of a few days ago I have run a weatherproof Cat5 cable to the office.
I've connected to either end a wall mounted ethernet socket to allow me to plug in to. So far not got past plugging directly into this socket.
At the router end(testing the ethernet cable that is plugged directly into the router to the new socket into a laptop) I am getting c30-35M speed down and c7-8M up. As I would expect.

At the other end I'm getting 9M down and 3M Up. So from the socket the other end of the 35meter cable I am getting.

As I see it it has to be one of the following:
- Sockets newly installed are slowing things down (could be one or the other i.e. either end).
- 35meter cable is causing the issue(it was a cable from a nationwide electrical retailer).
- would proximity to the powered armoured cable(power supply to the office) have an effect on speed or would it be more stability?

I've read some stuff as you do and am led to believe a cable of this length 'shouldn't' cause an issue?
Also my other question is with the sockets and the wiring of them can they be right or wrong or can they be 'part right' thus causing a speed issue.

Bit baffled, aware where in the connection the speed changes or drops(somewhere from new socket in house/cable/new socket in office), but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before I rip out the cable that took me hours to thread along the fence line and start trying to fiddle with sockets. Hoping in the sockets case they are either right or wrong.

Is this just something I will have to live with and aside from getting a dedicated line installed which I don't want to do what is the best alternate way of doing this? Did look at point to point but don't want to throw however much at it if it's likely to be the same.

Any help, pointers, advice etc would be greatly apprecaited. I'm not overly technical but am willing to have a go(could be the issue perhaps).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sliv_ar (Tue 17-May-16 09:49:13)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 17-May-16 09:52:07
Print Post

Re: Fibre Speed to Garden Office.

[re: sliv_ar] [link to this post]

35m of cable should not cause any issues.

The power cable will not cause a problem with Ethernet signals (normally) however, if you had VDSL running down there it might..

First question:

Can you open up both sockets and list which colour wires are connected to which pins - also take a picture of each and host that somewhere and then post a link here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-May-16 10:28:03
Print Post

Good photos so that we can identify what you've done with the wiring will help.

If you don't have one, then a cable tester and simple ones are cheap £5 on Amazon can save lots of bother, e.g. it be may you have not got good contact on wire of a pair.

For quick and easy rigging up I'd recommend No tool RJ45 kit there are a variety available, useful if you are someone who never gets on with crimping.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sliv_ar
(newbie) Tue 17-May-16 10:32:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for your quick reply. Both sockets are wired per the attached photographs/
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qxfppkpy67ihy1y/AAAJSRQ-G...

First time i've used this so hope it works. Thanks.
Standard User sliv_ar
(newbie) Tue 17-May-16 10:33:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've just uploaded two photographs. One on the left is the house end, the other is the garden office end.

Is this where I'm made to look stupid wink I followed a print out I found online.
Standard User sliv_ar
(newbie) Tue 17-May-16 10:34:21
Print Post

I've done it. Thanks.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Tue 17-May-16 10:36:01
Print Post

The first thing I would do is double check the connections including a full continuity check on all pairs.

Note that cat5 is not compatible with gigabit operation (for which you need cat5e cable). I'm not quite sure what happens if you connect cat5 cable over all four pairs to two gigabit ports. It will presumably auto-negotiate it down, but I wonder if you'll just end up with 10BaseT speeds (the default is often to run at the lowest speed, and possibly not even in full duplex mode).

If you are using cat5 (not cat5e cable) then use the 100base-TX wiring mode (that is use just two pairs - 2 (1/2 and 3/6).

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_lan.h...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 17-May-16 10:39:09
Print Post

Looking at those, my first comment is that you may have the brown and orange pairs reversed and the brown pair is itself crossed. Also, the Blue pair are incorrect too, zooming in it shows Blue on 3 whereas on T568B (and A too) it should be 4.

1 Wh/Or
2 Or
3 Wh/Gr
4 Bl
5 Wh/Bl
6 Gr
7 Wh/Bn
8 Bn

You will need to pull them all out and re-terminate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 17-May-16 11:00:46)

Standard User sliv_ar
(newbie) Tue 17-May-16 10:40:09
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Sorry. To be clear I am using CAT5E cable.
Learning a lot as I go here(I now know there is a difference).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-May-16 10:40:10
Print Post

http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/difference-be...

I usually use the T-568B layout

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to