Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 07-Jun-16 13:06:47
Print Post

Expanding my wired network

[link to this post]

I installed cat5e cabling before moving into my current home and now have a 14 port ethernet home network which works very well with the various computers and media streaming devices in the home. As part of some planned building works (involving knocking through a kitchen and dining room and much more), I'll taking the opportunity to make use of the 10 unused ports on my 24 port patch panel and install a further 10 cat5e cables. I have plenty of cable left on the reel of cat5e that I first used back in 2010 to install the original network, but my question is: should I buy a new reel of cable rather than using the old one that's been sitting (boxed) in my garage for around 6 years?

Also, any recommendations on easy-to-work-with RJ45 modules? I used these ones before and they're reasonably easy to work with but 2 have failed so I'm wondering if quality/reliability is an issue.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-16 10:02:41
Print Post

Re: Expanding my wired network

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

I would continue to use the cable that you have. There are many different RJ45 modules, no harm in trying a different brand.

Michael Chare
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Jun-16 10:46:53
Print Post

Use the old cable.

As for RJ45 modules - take care when terminating them as different brands have the IDC arranged differently, just do not assume they are all alike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-16 14:12:58
Print Post

Whilst generally agreeing with the others, it may be worth while discarding the first metre, which is the part that may be affected by humidity.

Similar when you come to the end of the reel.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 15-Jun-16 15:19:59
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Whilst generally agreeing with the others, it may be worth while discarding the first metre, which is the part that may be affected by humidity.

True, although in a lot of cases you will pull through more than is needed and chop off teh end!

I will try, where possible and if I remember, to have the length marking visible a few cm before the termination. It can sometimes be useful in determining which cable is which ...

M H C

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 23-Jun-16 13:58:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

True, although in a lot of cases you will pull through more than is needed and chop off teh end!

I will try, where possible and if I remember, to have the length marking visible a few cm before the termination. It can sometimes be useful in determining which cable is which ...

Thanks guys, that does make very good sense.
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Thu 23-Jun-16 14:28:54
Print Post

Do this but after you've fed the cables through the wall to prevent wastage.

There won't be a problem using the existing CAT5e even if it has been sitting around. Bearing in mind many people have network cabling installed in places like garages which hasn't degraded.

Personally if this is a rare opportunity to gain access behind walls, I'd install something like CAT6a but many people will say this is unnecessary.

Depends what you envision using the ports for in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Virgin Media's ridiculously rubbish upload connection (2014 - Present): 152/12Mbps
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 23-Jun-16 14:53:59
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

Agreed, about cutting of a length, thinking of deterioration.

It occurred to me later; but decided to leave the original.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 23-Jun-16 15:35:10
Print Post

It is more often the case that the end has been left out and walked on, crushed, abraded or similar ... which still suggests chopping of the end.

M H C

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 23-Jun-16 16:36:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Regarding the length marking and using it to help identify the cable, I have been trying to find insulating tape of the different colours covering the full colour code from-

0 = Black

to

9 = White

With or without the respective Digit printed on it.

Specifically it is adhesive tapes, whether "Insulating" or not.

I am well aware of numbered sleeves, which could be used - but I would prefer tape.

Edited by eckiedoo (Thu 23-Jun-16 16:37:19)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to