Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bentos
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-16 17:16:19
Print Post

How do i change my router?

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already...

My parents have just taken a contract with the Post office and the wireless signal is pretty pathetic. It was fine with BT so based on that evidence alone, I guess it is probably an inferior hub. (Post Office Was Cheap!)

Is there a step by step instruction that will enable me to install a router such as a Linksys for example. I am a complete amateur so I guess there will be a plethora of passwords and settings, although I am hoping it is much simpler than my imagination.

Edited by Bentos (Wed 08-Jun-16 17:16:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-16 18:12:24
Print Post

Re: How do i change my router?

[re: Bentos] [link to this post]

The simplest route is to continue using the Post Office device and add a wireless access point, which as on the end of a cable can be placed for better coverage of the home would suggest Netgear WN-604 £39.99 on Amazon, there are cheaper options with similar wireless speeds available but the Netgear ranges generally have a simple web interface for setting up.

If you want full 802.11ac dual-band then devices are available, but as Post Office is an up to 8 Mbps service, figured not worth the extra money usually. A Netgear example with dual-band Netgear 802.11ac wireless access point £69.99

The advantage of using an access point too is if you have broadband problems and phone up to report a fault you still have their supplied kit in place for any diagnostics.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bentos
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-16 08:58:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for your help Mr Saffron

My father has agreed to run two Ethernet cables under the floor boards and through the house to my room this weekend. Unfortunately the phone line and internet is the other end of the house so it is quite a job. I assume that will be sufficient for an access point connection for wifi and direct connection to my PC.

Dad has ordered 2 Ethernet cat6 cables at 30m

Thanks again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Jun-16 09:28:24
Print Post

Two cables is good, and if you need more sockets just add an Ethernet switch on the end of one of the cables (cheap at £10-£15 each).

Running two cables is always good as gives a spare.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 11-Jun-16 00:02:53
Print Post

You need to download the configuration file to find the user id and password which you can then put in another router.

FWIW I found the Wifi range much the same as a Plusnet TG582n.
You could put the old BT router in a different location and connect it the PO router by cable. Make sure the IP address does not conflict, switch of the DHCP and perhaps use the same SSID and password as the PO router

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to