Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Leon456
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-16 12:19:08
Print Post

Which is a good internet service for Downloading?

[link to this post]

Can someone tell me whats the best connection downloading videos fast and efficient. I want to get a new connection for download purpose. Also rate of speed is ideal for it. Please suggest me a good internet service.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jul-16 14:01:27
Print Post

Re: Which is a good internet service for Downloading?

[re: Leon456] [link to this post]

Do you have a maximum budget? Do you know what sort of options you have available (ie FTTC,FTTP, ADSL, etc)? Check on the BT checker to see what options you have available and it will also tell you the range of potential speeds to your number. Do you have Virgin media available?

Depending on the answer then there are many potential ISPs such as BT, PlusNet, Zen, Uno, Virgin, AAISP, Sky, etc, etc. You can do some comparisons to narrow it down a bit on Thinkbroadbands homepage via this.

There are some ISPs that are having issues but this can ebb and flow. The one that seems to be the biggest problem at the moment is SSE with reported congestion at peak times. Talktalk have had their problems in the past although things seem to have gone quiet on issues with them recently.
Standard User Leon456
(newbie) Tue 19-Jul-16 05:26:14
Print Post

It looks like the people in the neighborhood use cable internet by Acanac. The ISP also provides High speed DSL and it's cheap. So I was thinking about that. What is better for streaming and downloading, DSL or cable?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Tue 19-Jul-16 10:55:22
Print Post

do you actually live in the uk ?
Acanac is based in america i believe
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jul-16 11:13:22
Print Post

With DSL the big difference is the distance to the central office. So to answer question you need to talk to local people and find out what speed DSL will connect at.

i.e. how fast DSL can you get and in your area is the DSL provider less contended than the cable one.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Tue 19-Jul-16 11:17:57
Print Post

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stevenfrenchy:
do you actually live in the uk ?
Acanac is based in america i believe
his link is Toronto, which is Canada
  Print Thread

Jump to