Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BeanoT
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 12:28:29
Print Post

Weak WIFI Signal

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am after a recommendation of hardware to assist in receiving a weak wifi signal within a care home.
Ultimately I am trying to provide an Internet connection to a smart tv.
The wifi reception is good at times but am looking for hardware recommendations that can be installed in the room of the resident rather than the router end.

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Jul-16 12:44:48
Print Post

Re: Weak WIFI Signal

[re: BeanoT] [link to this post]

If it is good at times, the reason it may be bad is the shared nature. Has testing shown it is a wireless signal level issue rather than actual throughput from the Internet?

Something like Asus EA-N66 which may have better wireless antenna and give option of Ethernet or wireless boosting might help, but best solution would be to get an Ethernet connection to the Smart TV.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BeanoT
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 13:38:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you. The TV loses sight of the network completely at times so assume it is a signal level issue?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Jul-16 14:23:34
Print Post

Probably, things like doors being open or closed or where people are sitting are enough to vary Wi-Fi signal reception.

If the WiFi is a USB dongle plugged into the TV, try a 1m USB extension lead to raise the height of the USB dongle, i.e. above body height and often can give a better signal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jul-16 17:50:13
Print Post

In addition to Andrew's suggestions, there may be variability caused by mobile metallic items, such as food trolleys, screens, drug dispensing units, wheel chairs etc, to a much greater extent than in a typical domestic setting.

A more exotic possibility may be silver-impregnated dressings and clothing-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jul-16 18:26:35
Print Post

Picking up on Andrew's mention of where people are (temporarily) located etc, I recently mapped my three Wi-Fi circuits separately, using NetSpot.

Main 2.4 GHz and only 5 GHz sources - in Router beside main PC

Extender 2.4 GHz source - in added Lounge outside original house walls
See Wi-Fi and Weather
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/t/4494351...

In doing preliminary checks etc to become reasonably conversant with the program, I noted that the relative positioning of the laptop with NetSpot running, to myself was very important.

If I was between the laptop and the Wi-Fi sources, the signal strength could be abysmally low, whilst if I simply turned through 180 Degrees centred on the laptop, the signal strength would rise very significantly.

Similar variations could be seen if the laptop was placed on a table; rotated and observed from a distance, to minimise obstruction.

----------------------

If anyone is considering mapping their own Wi-Fi, I would recommend making/obtaining a carrier for the laptop, similar to those used to vend refreshments during the intervals in cinemas, theatres etc.

Possibly a baby-carrier could be pressed in to service.

Edited by eckiedoo (Fri 22-Jul-16 18:28:38)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jul-16 19:32:43
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Avoid making it look like something a suicide bomber would wear. blush

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Jul-16 07:25:43
Print Post

Thinking further about the situation, I suggest that the smart TV set is connected directly to the router, by cable, to give reliable local connection, not subject to the various forms of degradation already mentioned.

Assuming bthat the BB connection is FTTC, then you have to make sure that the phone line is "clean and reliable".

Depending on the size of the care home, if you want reasonably reliable Wi-Fi coverage, I suggest you consult a suitable company.

Keep in mind that the residents are captive; whilst over the years they will be more familiar with such facilities.

You may have to consider loading, as gradually I could see a demand for individual smart TVs building up - and also various forms of smart phone use and/or VOIP.

SKYPE etc could be in (high) demand due to the special circumstances.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 09:11:28
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

If a cable connection is not feasible then a powerline adapter connection may work better than relying on wi-fi.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Jul-16 09:45:12
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Agreed power-line adaptors may work; but the OP should keep in mind the amount of unusual electrical equipment used in care homes; and the possibilities of interference both ways, ie from the adaptors to the medical equipment and vice-versa.

Another aspect is - will there be any monetary charges for access and use, given the parlous state that many care and residential homes are reported to be in?
  Print Thread

Jump to