Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Mon 01-Aug-16 11:06:09
Print Post

Improving Home WLAN

[link to this post]

Hopefully I'll soon be getting FTTC, so thoughts turn to what I need to do to improve my rather flaky WLAN.

I currently have a DrayTek Vigor 2860 N which seems to be pretty good, and will I assume be OK for FTTC.

I live in an ancient house, part timbered, with many thick solid brick walls, and my WLAN does need beefing up & extending.

I believe I am correct in thinking that back to back wifi repeaters are a no-no due to halving the available bandwidth.

Accordingly I am propose installing a Devolo 500 AV wireless + adaptor & two powerline adaptors.

I believe that this will be a viable solution, and I trust it won't materially reduce the available bandwidth.

If successful I would propose adding another 2 or 3 Devolo two powerline adaptors to complete the WLAN
through the house, and to my study in an outbuilding. Will increasing the number of powerline adaptors.
to 5 or more cause any problems?

Why this solution? A kind friend has offered me the Devolo 500 AV wireless + adaptor & one powerline adaptors, as he has just installed CAT 6 throughout his house.

NJSS
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 00:11:56
Print Post

Re: Improving Home WLAN

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

The Draytek is good for FTTC and is one of the few routers approved according to BT's SIN 498 modem compatibility testing programme.

With homeplugs I think it's very much a question of testing to see whether they will work for you.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-16 01:15:59
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Something to keep an eye on is that Homeplugs can potentially reduce your sync speed on FTTC as they operate on some of the same frequencies. It depends on the quality of the particular units and your house wiring.

The only way to know for sure is to try but as you have been offered them anyway its pretty much no risk to you.

Edited by alexatkin (Tue 02-Aug-16 03:18:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NJSS
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-16 09:04:34
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Something to keep an eye on is that Homeplugs can potentially reduce your sync speed on FTTC as they operate on some of the same frequencies.

Many thanks. Do you know which frequencies interfere with FTTC please?

NJSS
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Tue 02-Aug-16 09:17:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by NJSS:
In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Something to keep an eye on is that Homeplugs can potentially reduce your sync speed on FTTC as they operate on some of the same frequencies.

Many thanks. Do you know which frequencies interfere with FTTC please?

NJSS

In a nutshell, all of them. Seriously, home AV plugs are the devils spawn. A less riskier solution, and one that offers far better performance, is to buy one or two wifi APs and connect them to back to the router with Cat 6 cable (flat or round, depending on taste and whether running under carpet, between carpet and skirting board, or on top of skirting board).

It's not just fibre BB they can affect; hey can reduce common adsl BB too, by as much as 50%, and will also annoy the hell out of any local amateur radio users; it not just dsl frequencies they broadcast on, the majority of them have appalling - if any - notch filters in the HF bands between 2 and 30mhz.

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-16 10:03:24
Print Post

Improving Home WLAN

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

Oh dear !

Back to back wifi repeaters are a no-no due to halving the available bandwidth, you suggest AV plugs are unaccceptable, and there is no way I can install any cables on the ground floor.

My house is ancient with solid brick floors, and brick & flint walls, generally no carpets & no skirting boards on the ground floor.

I think I am going to have to go for the "least bad solution", which I assume is AV plugs. Happily my home is fairly remote & I know all the neighbours and there are no amateur radio enthuiasts within at least .5 mile.

NJSS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Aug-16 10:10:23
Print Post

HomePlugs may or may not be the solution for you, the only way is to try them.

Remember radio spectrum is rarely solely occupied by one service these days, so many things interfere with VDSL2 and some say VDSL2 interferes with existing short wave services. Similar with the HomePlugs.

15 years ago there was a movement to ban ADSL since it was thought it would destroy AM radio reception.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 10:12:26
Print Post

Find a way to get a single Cat5e/Cat6 cable to the first floor. Put a small 4/8 port switch there and then run cables at that level. Use POE WAPs and drop down from the ceiling to each of them. Mounted at ceiling height there will be almost no cable showing and the few inches can be in trunking which can be painted to blend in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-16 10:32:09
Print Post

Improving Home WLAN

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC

Many thanks.

The vertical rise isn't a problem, as I have a disused chimney which is already used for TV aerial & power.

Ground floor distribution is more of a problem with very low ceilings. only 6' 1" to the exposed beams etc..

I'm told the Devolo kit is excellent, so it may be a matter of installing it & tweaking it to give best performance.

NJSS
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-16 10:41:13
Print Post

Can you not install the WAPs close to the floor on the first floor? Fitted flush to a wall - they will give good coverage below ...

I just do not like the HomePlugs in any form.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to