Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aldredd
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-16 19:42:40
Print Post

Port forwarding with Bonded Connections / Link Aggregation

[link to this post]

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but worth a shot.

I've setup bonded connections on two of my machines (an Ubuntu based HP server and a Synology NAS)

Within the home network, this works fine - I can access the servers' web interfaces, ssh, transfer data etc no issues. All devices are plugged into an un-managed netgear switch

However, I can't get my router (BT Homehub 5) to port-forward to them. Works fine on a standard connection, and I've got the rules setup - it just doesn't seem to action the forwarding, as though it can't translate the IP

Does anyone have any experience with bonded connections and able to offer any suggestions? Is this a something a change of router will help address?

Thanks for any suggestions!

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by aldredd (Tue 02-Aug-16 22:24:32)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Aug-16 07:33:23
Print Post

Re: Port forwarding with Bonded Connections / Link Aggregati

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

What do you mean by "bonded" connections - normally that refers to 2 lines working together to provide double bandwidth but that wouldn't be the case with the NAS as the end point?

And what do you mean by "works fine on a standard connection"? What are you defining as a "standard connection"?
Standard User aldredd
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-16 08:18:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
What do you mean by "bonded" connections - normally that refers to 2 lines working together to provide double bandwidth but that wouldn't be the case with the NAS as the end point?

That's exactly it - two lan ports 'bonded' with a single IP address. Two reasons... allows faster transfer between the two devices, but also, for the HP server - it contains a lot of high bit-rate media which is fed to the plex transcoding server, without it hogging the connection to the server

In reply to a post by ian72:
And what do you mean by "works fine on a standard connection"? What are you defining as a "standard connection"?

As in, if I disable link aggregation/bonding, then the port forwarding rules work fine, but with link aggregation on it doesn't - but works internally.
In fact, if I leave the synology nas on a single connection, it 'works' ok for the HP server - but the connection drops periodically - just don't think the router likes forwarding to the single IP.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 03-Aug-16 09:47:18
Print Post

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

I would say your issue is related to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

The Homehub does not support or know about link aggregation, and you've created a bridge loop.
  Print Thread

Jump to