Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glengib
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-16 21:52:59
Print Post

Zyxel SBG3300 replacement for HH5

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I am new to this site and am wondering if anybody can help me please?

I have moved into a new build house with fibre to the premises and I have got BT Infinity 3 - 200mbs broadband.

My wife runs a home based business and used a Cisco VOIP phone but she keeps losing connection on the phone regularly. She has been in contact with the IT department regarding this and after weeks and weeks of painstaking pestering they have come up with an answer saying that we need to disable SIP ALG. I have checked and cannot access that function on the BT Home Hub 5. They have since told us that we should replace our router as they can do nothing else for us unless we disable that function.

I have just taken delivery today of a Zyxel 3300-N router to replace the HH5.

I have been trying to set it up all day but to no avail. Can anybody help with the settings please?

It is asking me to add a new WAN interface. When I do it is asking for

ADSL/VDSL over PTM
ADSL over ATM
Ethernet

I am presuming I need the ADSL/VDSL over PTM

The next one is Routing or Bridge so I have selected Routing.

PPPoE or IPoE so I have selected PPPoE

IPv4 Only or IPv6/IPv4 Dualstack - I have selected IPv4

It is asking for the PPP User Name and password. I have been onto BT and they have told me btinternet@btinternet.com and the password is either password or BT - I have tried them all and different BT names but cannot get it to work.

The Routing Feature is NAT Enable or Disable - don't know which one to use.
IGMP Proxy Enable or Disable - don't know which one to use.
Apply as Default Gateway Enable or Disable - don't know which one to use.

VLAN - Active or not - not sure which one.
If it is active then 802.1p is numbered from 0 - 7 and 802.1q is 0 - 4094.

MTU Size is 68 - 1492 and it is set to 1492.

Can anyone help with all these settings please as I cannot get onto the internet with this new router. I have had to use my mobile as a hotspot to get on here to ask these questions.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-16 22:30:44
Print Post

Re: Zyxel SBG3300 replacement for HH5

[re: glengib] [link to this post]

The WAN interface is Ethernet as it needs to plug into the Openreach white box, the ONT
You need PPPoE and the username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password is anything, BT for example
Routing is NAT
IGMP Proxy enable
Apply as default gateway
VLAN disable
MTU 1492 should be ok

Give it a go
Standard User glengib
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-16 22:59:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thank you for your help.

I unplugged my HH5 and transferred the cables directly to this router so I know the RJ45 plug is in the WAN port correctly.

I have tried those settings and still cannot get a connection to the internet.

The status page says Down and the LB for this connection is Inactive.

At the bottom of the page I get a message saying The SBG3300 cannot connect to the internet. Please check WAN settings or contact my ISP.

I have been like this all day since taking delivery of this router.

Sorry for being a pain but I am really struggling.

Thank you again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-16 23:11:03
Print Post

Try

IP address - obtain automatically
DNS Server - Dynamic

It would really help if you could link to a screenshot of your settings
Standard User glengib
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-16 23:28:27
Print Post

Thank you.

I have checked and I already have those settings.

I have got some screenshots but am not sure how to attach them to this post.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-16 23:36:17
Print Post

You can't. You have to put them somewhere and link to them. http://prnt.sc/ for example, or https://gyazo.com/en or http://imgur.com/
Standard User glengib
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-16 23:46:50
Print Post

I have just created an account and uploaded them.

http://imgur.com/a/e5oGW

Hope this works as I've never used it before.
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-16 23:53:33
Print Post

Glengib,

Careful you dont run into the same problem using the Zyxel. I work for an ISP in the UK and we get SIP problems frequently. I wouldnt suspect ALG to be causing the problem, as when SIP ALG is enabled calls never connect (from my experience). In summary SIP ALG and NAT do not play well together wink Read more here: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15....

Have you timed how long a phone call takes to cut out? If its always the same period I would read up on NAT refresh. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4787#section-4.3

Lastly, if not same cut out period, have you had a look at the SIP handshake for why the call is dropping? Who is terminating the session? Can you see a nice clean BYE - 200 OK? Use Wireshark. If you cant see, the phone provider should be able to see the call termination code. I assume the phones are actually using SIP instead of SKINNY or perhaps encrypted ESP?

Again, if you've had enough of this fault find and just want a Zyxel, then ignore. I thought I'd type this for record when people hit google with similar issues smile

Bluenapalm
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Aug-16 00:00:10
Print Post

You run a home based business and choose to use a consumer grade service and hardware. The first thing you need to consider is that aspect and move across to a business service. What will happen if the connection fails through damage? A two, three, four week wait- is that good enough for a business? Or is next day what you should expect?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User glengib
(newbie) Thu 04-Aug-16 00:08:39
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I was quite happy with the HH5, it served my internet needs quite well.

The company that look after the computers and calls for the company that my wife works for have said that it is definitely the SIP ALG function and that I need to be able to disable it because it is this that is causing her calls to drop.

Sometimes she will call somebody and they cannot hear here when they answer.

Other times somebody will call her and when she answers they cannot hear her.

Also, sometimes she is mid conversation with somebody and either the call will drop, (both when she calls somebody and when somebody calls her), or she will be mid conversation with somebody and they are talking and they cannot hear her.

It has even happened when I have called her. One time she thought it was just concerning mobile phones but it is also happening with landlines.

We have been told by the company looking after the IT that this function can be disabled in this router.

As far as how long the call lasts before the problems start. It can vary, sometimes almost straight away, other times it can be about 10-15 minutes into the call. But it doesn't happen every time.

I didn't want to buy a different router at all but the IT department said that they couldn't do anything to help any further unless I could disable this function.

I have searched online and even been on the phone to BT for ages only to be told that we cannot access this function in the HH5.

Thank you for your time in replying though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to