Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meri_gadi
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-16 21:16:25
Print Post

Help needed with setting up internet around the house

[link to this post]

The question I have is that, Iím stuck in connecting to the internet and wiring my printer.

My current setup is 1 HH5 downstairs and along with BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Multi Kit + 1 extra wireless hotspot.
Connected in the master socket, the HH5 sits in the cupboard in the middle of the house. I have my powerline extender plugged next to it.
1st hotspot is in the 1st floor, towards the front if the house as the signal was a bit weak there.
2nd hotspot is on the 2nd floor towards the back of the house where my printer is connected.
3rd is in the annex.
They all work fine but the speeds are slow on wireless and I have a lot of drop outs. Itís a large house.

The house is network cables running in it. I have my network cables plugged into a Netgear GS116. The annex and 2nd floor arenít networked, so I will still have to run a powerline extender. Iím planning to change the BT powerline extenders to TP-LINK TL-PA8010P. Itís a twin pack. They are non-Wi-Fi and I was hoping to plug them into an access point on the other end.

I have a HG612 which I plan to unlock and I have 3 HH5 altogether.

In the living room I plan to run a HH5 as an access point as I have a network point. Here I will connect the TV, PS4 and Sky box through network cable to the HH5. This should be providing the enough Wi-Fi coverage for that side of the house.

In the annex I plan to run a HH5 as an access point connected through the powerline adaopter, where I will connect the TV, Desktop computer and Sky box through network cable in the HH5. This should be providing the Wi-Fi coverage for the annex.

The question I have is that, Iím stuck in connecting to the internet and wiring my printer.

Do I connect HG612 and a HH5, with Wi-Fi disabled and plug a network cable to the Netgear Switch and one plugged to the powerline adapter? My thinking being that too many Wi-Fi routers will cause interference even if they are on separate channels.
Or
Connect the unlocked HG612 as a 2 port modem router? Connect both ports into the switch. Not sure if that is possible, but I am looking into it?
Or
Getting a billion 8800nl? And connecting a network cable to the Netgear Switch and one plugged to the powerline adapter.

And when it comes to the printer, Iím not sure if I should buy a range extender with a single port like the Netgear WN3000RP
Or
Getting a 3rd powerline extenders TP-LINK TL-PA8010P and connecting it through that. The only downside I hear is that adding another powerline reduces the bandwidth.

Iím a bit of novice so please bear with me. Thanks all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Aug-16 09:50:01
Print Post

Re: Help needed with setting up internet around the house

[re: meri_gadi] [link to this post]

Does the printers Wi-FI support 5GHz? For wireless the more you can do in the 5GHz band the better.

More use of dual band, and ethernet where at all possible. Does the printer have no Ethernet socket on it?

Adding more power line adapters should not unduly affect throughput, as they should manage speeds above what VDSL2 can create, but never played with the BT or TP-Link ones, I'd generally recommend Devolo HomePlug kit its not the cheapest but generally works well.

On "Connect the unlocked HG612 as a 2 port modem router? Connect both ports into the switch. Not sure if that is possible, but I am looking into it?" two ethernet connections from the HG612 to a switch will be no better than one, and may cause more problems, hoping you meant 1 ethernet cable to switch A and another cable to switch B which makes sense, just be sure to avoid creating a loop in the ethernet network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:05:19
Print Post

Is there no way you can run cables around the house to where the APs need to be?

I find Homeplugs in my home, even the £100 ones, have a throughput which varies wildly between 90Mbps and 5Mbps, they drop out & anything such as Apple TV or screen mirroring is laggy when going via the homeplug.

If you are going to spend money on this, I would say do it right and get ethernet ran.

E.g. you may not be able to get a wire to the Annex, but somewhere close enough to the annex may work fine. That's just one example.

I would try every possible way imaginable to get the APs hard wired into one another, longer term it will serve you justice.

EDIT: also make sure every AP is dual band. Ideally wireless AC.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 17-Aug-16 12:06:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meri_gadi
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:05:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Does the printers Wi-FI support 5GHz? For wireless the more you can do in the 5GHz band the better.

More use of dual band, and ethernet where at all possible. Does the printer have no Ethernet socket on it?

Adding more power line adapters should not unduly affect throughput, as they should manage speeds above what VDSL2 can create, but never played with the BT or TP-Link ones, I'd generally recommend Devolo HomePlug kit its not the cheapest but generally works well.

On "Connect the unlocked HG612 as a 2 port modem router? Connect both ports into the switch. Not sure if that is possible, but I am looking into it?" two ethernet connections from the HG612 to a switch will be no better than one, and may cause more problems, hoping you meant 1 ethernet cable to switch A and another cable to switch B which makes sense, just be sure to avoid creating a loop in the ethernet network.

Printer is Xerox Machine with a ethernet port.

Could the drop outs be caused by the power line adaptors?

I can upgrade the equipment to have a better and stable connection.

here are some drawing of the house showing where the network points are.

Ground Floor

1st Floor

2nd Floor
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:27:07
Print Post

A network point is one side of a point-to-point connection. Is there any connection between the ground floor and the first floor?
Standard User meri_gadi
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-16 12:58:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
A network point is one side of a point-to-point connection. Is there any connection between the ground floor and the first floor?

Each network point has 2 cables running to it. 2 port sockets on the faceplate and all cables run to the cupboard. 14 cables in total run back to the cupboard. i hope it makes sense.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-16 13:24:42
Print Post

Powerline drop in my house all the time. Hence my suggestion of wiring up.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 17-Aug-16 13:34:26
Print Post

That's good, so the ethernet ports on the ground floor and first floor are connected. You should use these for wireless access points and/or switches as required then use a power line adaptor from an ethernet port to the mains to enable the second floor with a 2nd powerline adapter from the mains to ethernet and/or wireless..

What internet speeds are you getting and is it VDSL or ADSL?
Standard User meri_gadi
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-16 15:30:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

Powerline drop in my house all the time. Hence my suggestion of wiring up.

But how do i connect the Annex where there is no network cabling?
and My printer on the 2nd floor? It has an network port.
Standard User meri_gadi
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-16 15:35:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
That's good, so the ethernet ports on the ground floor and first floor are connected. You should use these for wireless access points and/or switches as required then use a power line adaptor from an ethernet port to the mains to enable the second floor with a 2nd powerline adapter from the mains to ethernet and/or wireless..

What internet speeds are you getting and is it VDSL or ADSL?

Stats courtesy of HH5

Downstream: 47.48 Mbps
Upstream: 11.72 Mbps

I have VDSL. The problem is the I'm having a lot of drop outs. Driving me mad.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to