Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Sat 17-Sep-16 21:39:27
Print Post

Wireless access point losing internet connection

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm using a modified TP-Link Archer C5 as a wireless access point, hardwired to a Zyxel VMG8924 which performs modem and router duties, including DHCP and NAT. The WAP is in AP mode and configured as per DD-WRT recommendations. The Zyxel is pretty much set up as it came out of the box bar some port forwarding and other standard config. The issue I have is that wireless devices connected to the Archer regularly lose connection to the internet. The LAN connection functions as normal and I'm able to access whatever device I want to within the LAN but the web connection drops. I usually perform a remote reboot of the Archer to fix it. A common trait of the internet drop seems to be when there are 2 or more devices connected to the Archer. Internet connectivity from the Zyxel is unaffected.
I was sure it was the Archer but every change of configuration I do within it makes no difference to the issue and I'm positive my previous WAP (TP-Link WA901ND) did the same thing so I'm now convinced it's the Zyxel that's causing the issue. However, I'm at a complete brain block as to why. So any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf Unmetered
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: IFTN
Modem/ router: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Attenuation:25.0dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 18635kbps

Edited by youngsyp (Sat 17-Sep-16 22:04:32)

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 04-Nov-16 11:58:20
Print Post

Re: Wireless access point losing internet connection

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Just in case this is useful for anyone else, I think I've found the issue.

I set up all my fixed devices with a static IP address. There's a feature in the Zyxel to add these to the static list. It uses the MAC address of the device to assign the IP address to. The C5 has 3 MAC addresses, one for the LAN NIC, one for the 2.4GHz WLAN adapter and one for the 5GHz WLAN adapter. It would seem the Zyxel was picking up one of the WLAN adapter MAC addresses and assigning that to the static IP address. This caused an issue for some reason resulting in DNS failures. I've re-added the C5 using the LAN NIC's MAC address and it's been fine ever since. The same thing must have been happening with the old WAP too.

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf Unmetered
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: IFTN
Modem/ router: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Attenuation:25.0dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 18635kbps

Edited by youngsyp (Fri 04-Nov-16 12:03:54)

Print Thread

Jump to