Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 12:05:11
Print Post

Powerline Plug Recommendations

[link to this post]

We're struggling with the wifi coverage from our Sky router at the moment and considering Powerline wifi extenders as a way forward.

Our local Maplin pushes Devolo, but the TP-Link ones seem to get marginally better reviews on Amazon.

Is there any reason to favour one brand over another or are they all likely to behave somewhat similarly?

Out house is a long thin 30 year old detached house, so hoping we won't run into any wiring issues that might impact Powerline as an option.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:11:31
Print Post

Re: Powerline Plug Recommendations

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Running a long ethernet cable from the router to a wi-fi extender at the other end of the house would be a better solution.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User zpeterk
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:59:05
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I concur with Gomezz run a cable if possible, I recently tested a TP-link powerline adapter, and to get a good performance out of them they needed to be close together on the same circuit in the house.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Sep-16 15:38:34
Print Post

I would run a cable my experience with homeplugs has been generally poor with regular drop outs and speeds fluctuating all over the place... I tried many brands.
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 15:47:41
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks all for your advice.

I very much doubt my wife is going to let me run an ethernet cable through the house, so whilst I'm sure it is the best technical solution, I'm not sure it is that much of an option

I guess it's a case of which is the least worse case of:
1) Powerline
2) Wifi extender
3) Relying on the wifi of a better router.

The main body of the house is roughly 40' long by 18' deep and with it being a relatively modern house, most of the walls are partitions rather than load bearing.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:16:13
Print Post

Can you run an external cable? You must already have cables running around the house e.g. For Sky, landline cable coming down the house etc? You can get external grade cabling and run it to the optimal location.

What is the speed of your broadband?
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:33:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

External cabling may be more of an option. There's certainly a hole in the wall in the living room that had a Satellite cable running through it at one stage. Will have to look at the routing.

At the moment we are only an ADSL Broadband, but looking to move to VDSL. Thinking of going the 80/20 option (or whatever that has been sanitised to now!), as we have a BT fibre cabinet the other side of our garden wall.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:43:34
Print Post

Cales every time!

You can often squeeze a cable into the gap between carpet and skirting board - worth trying to see. If not, an RJ45 socket on the wall, external Cat5e from there and straight out and the same at the other end. Two short patch leads and all done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Sep-16 19:21:26
Print Post

get the devolo 1200 devices. I use the 650 ones to run all over the house, They just work. I can max out my 40/10link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UTG32TQ?ref_=ams_ad_d...

IanD
Standard User BrianC1
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 19:30:27
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
get the devolo 1200 devices. I use the 650 ones to run all over the house, They just work. I can max out my 40/10link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UTG32TQ?ref_=ams_ad_d...

That's what I have. I get well over 50 Mbps. And if you get the right bits of kit it extends your wifi too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to