Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LastSaneMan
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 15:46:20
Print Post

Two accounts from same ISP at same address

[link to this post]

Hi everyone - first-time poster, signed up to ask this question. I wasn't sure whether to post it here or on General Discussion

I live in a shared house (i.e. own rooms, communal kitchen/bathroom) and have been given the SSID and wireless password to his router by one of my housemates, for a small contribution to his monthly fee.

I've connected successfully from a Win 10 PC, but a second Win 7 PC fails to connect; if I set the security type to WPA2-Personal (which is what the successfully connected Win 10 PC says it is using), the same password is rejected as invalid. (I've tried all sorts of troubleshooting efforts from the web, to no avail; oddly, if I change the security type to 802.11, I get prompted for a both a username and password, but I don't know what the username is and the housemate claims not to, either).

Because I want both machines online, I signed up with my housemate's ISP, Virginmedia, for a router of my own, with no landline. Virginmedia have asked for confirmation of the address because of the existing account, and have now said they'll need the housemate's permission before I can have a router there too. I was surprised by this, but can't find any justification via Google searches.

It's just occurred to me while typing all this that the reason for that could be because there is only one actual phone line to access their fibre optic system. There's a Cable & Wireless phone point in my room, and I'm assuming that any prospective ISP has a way of knowing whether it's connected and working.

So, after all this rambling(!) I suppose I have two actual questions: -

1. Is there an easy way of fixing the issue of falied access from the Win 7 PC, using the same password which works for the Win 10 PC? (I've tried switching the dongles over, so it's not that).

2. Do Virginmedia really need my housemate's permission in order for me to have my own account and router?

Thanks for reading - all feedback gratefully received!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:54:32
Print Post

Re: Two accounts from same ISP at same address

[re: LastSaneMan] [link to this post]

In answer to Q2.

You can only have ONE connection on a single phone line. So, if you have an account, his will be disabled. You could have a second line installed and a new account but that will not be cheap.

Your answer is going to be to resolve the authentication issue. I would suggest, changing the password to something simple - 1234567890ABCDEF and then trying to see if you can connect. If that fails, turn OFF authentication and try again. Then move through authentication types.

If you cannot solve it, get your own WAP, connect it wired to the router and set it up in a way that works for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 17:32:40
Print Post

1) You would certainly need the house owners permission to set up a new line and broadband account with any supplier.

2) I would guess that you have been given router access on a guest account which would be restricted to one Mac address , ie , the first device you connected.

Unless they are daft nobody would be giving you access to the main account as that allows you to access their network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-16 18:36:25
Print Post

As we are talking Virgin Media cable then they only allow one cable broadband connection per residential property usually. Hence the loop jumping and probably if you succeeded would see existing one cut off.

Phone sockets are not what cable modems connect to, you are looking for a coax f-connector

If the Windows 7 PC cannot connect, then two options are to either run an Ethernet cable to the PC, or add your own wireless access point. A common mistake with wireless is that rather than using WPA key, you are trying to enter the WPS PIN.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Sep-16 21:12:49
Print Post

Which router do you have online?

Are there two SSIDs, one with 2G and one with 5G?

Have you tried both?

Sounds basic but have you tried turning both devices off and on?
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-16 12:46:33
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the really useful replies - much appreciated!

I didn't know (a) that it was a co-ax socket not a phone socket for the fibre connection (I've only had landline b/b before), nor (b) that you could have only one router per 'connection' (although I suppose it's obvious if you think about it!).

Basically, if I could get both PCs online via the existing router I wouldn't need to get my own, and would happily continue paying my housemate a tenner a month for a share of his.

However, his router is in his room upstairs, while my PCs are on the ground floor, which pretty much rules out running a cable. Also, he works all hours as a sous chef so it's not easy to ask him if I can physically connect and log in to his router to change any settings (even if I did know what to do, which I don't).

AdrianPH's reply did suggest that I'd only been "given router access on a guest account which would be restricted to one Mac address". However, a third housemate (also on the ground floor) has wireless access, so it must be possible to connect several PCs, which implies to me that it's a configuration issue on the Win 7 PC itself.

I just don't get why it won't connect. All I needed for the Win 10 PC was the SSID and password; the network showed in the list, I clicked 'Connect', entered the password, and that was it - internet wireless access.

On the Win 7 PC, if I set the security type to WPA2-Personal (i.e. what the Win 10 say it's using), the SSID is in the list of available networks but has a red X against it instead of the green 'signal strength' bars, and the 'Connect' button is greyed out with a message to the effect that the connection settings are invalid/do not match. If I change the security type for the connection profile on the PC to 802.11, I get green bars and an active 'Connect' button, but clicking it prompts for a username as well as a password, which (as I've said) the router's owner claims not to know.

ukhardy07 asked "Are there two SSIDs, one with 2G and one with 5G?". Apparently there are (I've not actually seen the router, so don't know what type it is) - he gave me two SSID's, "VMnnnnn-2G" and "VMnnnnn-5G", saying not to use the 5G unless I had problems with the 2G. However, the 5G doesn't appear in the list of available networks on either PC.

I'm hoping this is what I call a "Simon says" issue (i.e. you didn't say "Simon says connect to the router"), where one simple change to how I'm doing what I'm doing fixes it. Any further help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

"Weaselling out of things is what separates us from the animals...except the weasel"
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-16 12:54:48
Print Post

Try this:

1) Reboot the router
2) On Windows 7 Click Start - type network and sharing center - Click Manage wireless networks - find the virginmedia SSID, click it and click remove

Now attempt to reconnect using the details provided.

In reference to 2G and 5G. 5G is the latest wireless standard, 2G is the old standard, many devices do not support 5G if they're a few years old or towards the cheaper end of the spectrum. The advice to only use 2G is generally quite poor since 5G will give far far better throughput if the signal is decent.
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-16 11:36:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks again, ukhardy07. Unfortunately, that just gets me back to where I originally started (i.e. after putting the new drive in the PC, installing Windows 7, plugging in the USB dongle and trying to connect for the first time) - the network's SSID is listed and available (green bars), but when I click 'Connect' and enter the exact same eight-letter password which works for my Win 10 PC, the password is rejected as incorrect.

I Googled the issue (i.e. rejection of a password known to be correct) before I first came here, and it is a known issue. I've followed the instructions from several supposed 'fixes' (changing the connection properties, deleting and recreating the wireless profile), but all to no avail.

Virginmeia say they can run a second connection to my room free-of-charge with my housemate's permission, so I am considering that, but it is all starting to sound like more trouble than it is worth.

"Weaselling out of things is what separates us from the animals...except the weasel"
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-16 11:40:15
Print Post

Is not the simple solution to use a different USB dongle, what make and model of dongle are you trying to use?

Have you got the dongle to work on any wireless network that has authentication on it?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-16 15:53:40
Print Post

Thanks again, ukhardy07. Unfortunately, that just gets me back to where I originally started (i.e. after putting the new drive in the PC, installing Windows 7, plugging in the USB dongle and trying to connect for the first time) - the network's SSID is listed and available (green bars), but when I click 'Connect' and enter the exact same eight-letter password which works for my Win 10 PC, the password is rejected as incorrect.

The issue is very unlikely to be the router. If you get a second connection they are likely to supply equipment configured in the same way which will likely have the same issue with your machine.

Since you are using a USB dongle, just buy another one (as suggested already). I think the likelihood is your USB device is faulty and/or does not support WPA2 encryption.

Something like this should do the trick

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-A6210-100PES-AC1200...

Before you buy this let us know the current USB adapter you are using, maybe an update is available that will resolve your issues. Also what OS do you have?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Sep-16 15:56:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to