Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BarryStigPeas
(newbie) Mon 03-Oct-16 15:29:43
Print Post

2 Routers 1 VDSL?

[link to this post]

So this comes about as a result of BT TV.

Current connection is as follows:

- BT Infinty
- Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL Bridge
- Billion Bipack 7800DXL

All is fine with everything, good BB speed and great Wireless coverage. I work from home, so need to be able to change the DNS addresses, so cannot use HH5 as this is hard coded. Also, home is running CAT6 so only using Wi Fi for Phones and Tablets etc.

So took delivery of the Ultra HD set top box on Thursday, and cannot get the online content to download despite trying as many permutations of the PPoE and IGMP protocol as I can. It looks like a straight comatability issue. Naturally, plug the HH5 in and it works a treat.

So either I can work from home, or I can watch MotoGP, but not both at the same time.

As a solution I have come up with this, and was wondering if this might work:

From the Vigor 130, connect Ethernet to a 4 port hub, and then connect both the Bipac and HH5's external WAN ports to the same hub. This is now with both devices connecting to a bridged connection to the VDSL modem.

Leave the Bipac as is, but configure the HH5 to sit on a different IP range, no wireless or DHCP.

Static IP on the BT TV box to the same subnet as the HH5.

From the internal network side of things, no issues that I can see. Also the routers connection to and from the Vigor is technically sound as it is Layer 2, so will work.

What I am unsure about is the 2 routers sharing the 1 VDSL this is where I can see an issue, but if anyone has any experience of this, then I am all ears.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Oct-16 15:40:43
Print Post

Re: 2 Routers 1 VDSL?

[re: BarryStigPeas] [link to this post]

The Vigor bridge can only supplied one bridged IP address (unless you are on a business package with a block of statics), i.e. only one PPPoE session is normally possible.

So Vigor into a 4 port hub while providing enough sockets will not do what you want.

Simplest solution assuming the Billion is there to provide better wireless.

VDSL2 - Vigor - Ethernet lead to WAN port on HH5 ----- PC's that use Ethernet and turn off wireless in the HH5

To get wireless you'd configure the Billion into a wireless access point mode and connect to one of the LAN ports of the HH5

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-16 15:42:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wouldn't the HH5 need to be the router connected to the VDSL (or bridge) directly in order to support the BT TV multicasting functions?

OP - why do you need to change the DNS provider to WfH?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-16 15:46:02
Print Post

The 7800DXL should work with multicast. I had an 8800AXL that worked with it.

Have you looked at https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Known-Rout... as this thread should help with configuring the router?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Oct-16 15:58:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Urm that is what I thought I had said

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-16 16:06:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oops, sorry, was reading the vigor as the draytek - wasn't concentrating. My apologies.

But, in the OP the draytek was there for DNS rather than wireless as they wanted to be able to change DNS settings - what I am unclear of is why this is necessary in order to WfH.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 03-Oct-16 16:07:26)

Standard User 10forcash
(learned) Mon 03-Oct-16 22:56:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
what I am unclear of is why this is necessary in order to WfH.

Quite often it's a compliance and security requirement (helps with preventing 'mitm' attacks) and also helps prevent data harvesting in the case of Google et al.
Depending on the work, it can also prevent ISP 'family protection' filters interfering with legitimate access to parts of the internet that other family members don't need to know about.
The problem with iptv may be down to the MTU setting, try 1472 or lower.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Tue 04-Oct-16 00:48:08
Print Post

If the Vigor bridges the same as openreach "modems" then if plugged into a switch (you don't really have a hub do you?) it will eat any multicast on your lan. The setup may actually work without the HH5 - not sure I don't have BT TV. I have plugged my modem into a switch and can get the BT test channel (Plusnet, no TV product) - I wonder if all BTW ISP customers can do that.

It is sub-optimal though, as the multicast is supposed to be separated by the router and the IGMP forked up the ppp as well as the eth (though it seems work without doing that). IIRC it says in some BT/OR doc that multicast device learning at the cab is limited, so if lots of phones/tablets are seen they may temporarily block the TV requests.

Edit: Forgot to ask - Why can't you just set the DNS to static on your work PC/devices?

Edited by legume (Tue 04-Oct-16 00:56:13)

Standard User clivers
(regular) Wed 05-Oct-16 14:33:20
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

I thought the Vigor 130 had problems with multicast? a quick google for "vigor 130 multicast" will bring up a few results.
Standard User legume
(experienced) Wed 05-Oct-16 17:21:14
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clivers:
I thought the Vigor 130 had problems with multicast? a quick google for "vigor 130 multicast" will bring up a few results.

Could be - the switch test could prove/dis prove and VDSL should be less complicated to bridge than ADSL which some "multicast doesn't work" posts on line seem to refer to.

If it doesn't bridge like its name suggests then that's false advertising on the part of Draytek.

I found and re-tested the test stream - it still works for me. On windows VLC is said to work with below, I don't know about other windows players.

rtp://234.81.130.4:5802
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to