Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Eeeps
(learned) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:31:50
Print Post

Connecting Sky Q Hub to existing router

[link to this post]

Just looking for some advise on the best way to connect a Sky Q Hub to a TP-Link router.

I've just moved from VM Vivid 150 to Sky Fibre Max.

For VM I had my SH2 in modem mode connected to a TP-Link Archer C7.

Currently all four Ethernet ports on the C7 are occupied; Samsung TV, Sky HD box, Xbox 360 and an uplink to a switch upstairs connecting to a laser printer, NAS box and a laptop used for VPN.

I'd like to keep the features of the C7 as far as possible and in particular the Access Control (to limit the Kids use of the internet).
(The Sky Q Hub does have some access control features but only has one schedule!).

I don't want to double NAT and have incoming ports open to certain LAN side devices.

I noticed that it is possible to disable the NAT function on the C7 but am not sure what this means. Does this make the C7 act as a simple router rather than a gateway?
When I tried disabling the NAT and connecting the WAN port of the C7 to one of the Ethernet ports on the Q Hub the C7 picked up an IP address from the Q Hub DHCP server but no routing seemed to exist on the C7.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:51:40
Print Post

Re: Connecting Sky Q Hub to existing router

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

Disabling NAT would mean you'd be in full control of the IP ranges, i.e. same as getting a set of static IP addresses from the ISP, but they'd be local range rather than public - not encountered anyone who has done this. To get it to work you'd need to manually set-up all the router.

Does the C7 have an access point mode? On the Asus routers with similar while this disabled the NAT and passed through DHCP stuff, the wireless and some other functions would still work so worth exploring.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to