Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 10-Dec-16 15:10:52
Print Post

Micro USB WiFi adapters

[link to this post]

In your experience, are micro USB WiFi adapters any good? I've bought a couple of TP-LINK TL-WN725N adapters. They were OK at first, but they both appear to have given up the ghost. I really want something for my laptop that will give me 802.11n connectivity, and that I can leave plugged in without it protruding too much. Maybe I'd be better off with an adapter with an aerial, and hang the inconvenience?

Edit: Range is not an issue. The WiFi router is only a few feet away.

Edited by micksharpe (Sat 10-Dec-16 15:15:24)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 10-Dec-16 17:08:28
Print Post

Re: Micro USB WiFi adapters

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In view of your bad experience with the TP-LINK, I suggest trying a similar but different product, particularly if you are not looking for very good long distance performance.

My Belkin Blue tooth adapter has lasted for sometime, unlike the similar previous products that I bought.
I see Belkin do a N300 Wifi USB adapter, but they cost more than the TP-Link. I have not used one.

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Dec-16 19:18:23
Print Post

Can you not upgrade the internal wifi card to one whitelisted by the manufacturer?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 10-Dec-16 20:41:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

It's a possibility, but it's a very old laptop and not really worth the hassle. It has 802.11g, which is adequate, really.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Dec-16 21:08:27
Print Post

I have a couple of Edimax nano USB wifi dongles which seem to work very well on Raspberry Pi setups. One got dropped and the cover smashed but it still works.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to