Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Dec-16 13:56:16
Print Post

Home mesh wifi

[link to this post]

Hi all,

(Long time to speak!)

I've long struggled with poor WiFi coverage in my house and, now I've got FTTP delivered through an inexplicably [censored] router with wireless-N, it feels like time to sort out WiFi once and for all.

Largely spurred on by Google WiFi, I've been looking at mesh systems. Sadly, Google WiFi is not available here. The last Google router never came to the UK so I'm not holding my breath. -- Unless anyone knows otherwise?

I've been looking at the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi AC1200 as an alternative. What do people think?

Does the cloud controller add much? I've no need to do any remote admin so if that's the only advantage, I could forgo it.

Any thoughts on any other mesh solutions also appreciated.

Ta
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Dec-16 14:56:03
Print Post

Re: Home mesh wifi

[re: xela] [link to this post]

I use the UAP-AC-LR and am very happy with it. I haven't tried the UAP-AC-Lite but expect it to be very good too.

If you don't use the cloud controller you'll have to install a local controller on your computer just to set the access point up as the access point has no web interface. It's a bit more involved than on most domestic wifi kit. You won't need a controller running all the time but it's useful for doing firmware upgrades on the access point as well as monitoring.

I have used Broadbandbuyer's cloud controller service at three sites which seems to work fine. It's a hassle free installation as you just plug the access point in and it works. Setting things up without the cloud controller takes a bit more time but is perfectly doable.

At home I run my own controller full time on a Raspberry Pi just because I can.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User connormill
(member) Sun 11-Dec-16 19:46:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by xela:
Hi all,

(Long time to speak!)

I've long struggled with poor WiFi coverage in my house and, now I've got FTTP delivered through an inexplicably [censored] router with wireless-N, it feels like time to sort out WiFi once and for all.

Largely spurred on by Google WiFi, I've been looking at mesh systems. Sadly, Google WiFi is not available here. The last Google router never came to the UK so I'm not holding my breath. -- Unless anyone knows otherwise?

I've been looking at the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi AC1200 as an alternative. What do people think?

Does the cloud controller add much? I've no need to do any remote admin so if that's the only advantage, I could forgo it.

Any thoughts on any other mesh solutions also appreciated.

Ta

I have a UAP Lite at home, and I make a living by installing these things.

the UniFi system works best if you have a few of them and have something running th controller system 24/7 as it's the controller software that can force a device off one AP and onto another.

If you can dedicate a PC to running this software, thats great, if not pay the ~360 for the Ubiquiti CloudKey which is a small, USB Powered device which runs the controller for you.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask, I'm sure I can help you with your setup.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Dec-16 21:16:11
Print Post

How big is the property and how big is the not spot of signal?

This could be a big overkill.
Standard User plankton
(regular) Sun 11-Dec-16 22:26:57
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I purchased two UAP-AC-LR. I've place one in the loft office and one in the centre of the house downstairs it gives me a great 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz signal everywhere. After years of wifi routers, it really is a revelation to how good WiFi can be. Both WIFi units are wired to a 1Gbps network and dead easy to set up, but you do need a PC. Best tech purchase this year.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Dec-16 00:09:32
Print Post

[re: plankton] [link to this post]

Can't the LITE version run at full UK power? Does the long-range variant really give better range?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Dec-16 00:13:12
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by connormill:
the UniFi system works best if you have a few of them and have something running th controller system 24/7 as it's the controller software that can force a device off one AP and onto another.

Does the controller also get involved in pushing clients from the 2.4GHz spectrum up to the 5GHz spectrum - allowing you to use the same SSID name?

Does this mean without the controller, you are better off using separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5, and for separate APs, and just performing manual roaming instead?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Dec-16 02:36:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Can't the LITE version run at full UK power? Does the long-range variant really give better range?
In the UK the LR is limited to the same maximum power as the Lite but has a different and larger antenna designed to improve both transmission and reception.

Both are 2x2 MIMO at 5GHz whereas the LR is 3x3 MIMO at 2.4GHz and the Lite only 2x2 MIMO.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User connormill
(member) Mon 12-Dec-16 08:37:16
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by connormill:

Does the controller also get involved in pushing clients from the 2.4GHz spectrum up to the 5GHz spectrum - allowing you to use the same SSID name?

Does this mean without the controller, you are better off using separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5, and for separate APs, and just performing manual roaming instead?

Yes, you can enable band steering with a "force to 5GHz" option in the controller, can this can be enabled or disabled on a per AP level
Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Mon 12-Dec-16 09:59:47
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I can vouch for the LR - I have a couple and they give full coverage across my garden (>100m), and even see the passing trains which are >600m away. They are beam forming, so do have a longer range even though they are no more powerful. They never need rebooting, are rock-solid, and are just so much better than any other wi-fi I've ever used it is almost unbelievable.

I have a small camp-site, and the Ubiquiti allows you to have a number of SSIDs, and guest portals (with payment if you wan)t, all out of the box.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to