Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User m0bov
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:21:57
Print Post

Working out sockets in house I'm purchasing

[link to this post]

Hi all. In the process of buying a 3 story townhouse. Its got a mix of Telewest branded sockets and BT sockets in there. I have attached a link to them. The Telewest and Openreach socket is in the living room (first floor) at the front of the house. The other pic is in the middle of the first floor between the living room and kitchen.

The last is the garage and shows a socket above a door. The garage is at the rear of the property. Ideally, I want the BT modem in the garage. Does it look like they have run phone extensions? Openreach socket I assume is the master? Can anyone tell me anymore?

https://goo.gl/photos/HB2Z5usNswmsGVST9

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:39:56
Print Post

Re: Working out sockets in house I'm purchasing

[re: m0bov] [link to this post]

Garage looks like an extension but other two look like master sockets but clearly someone has fiddled with one of them in a major way, so only way to understand is a full diagnosis of where all the wires actually go.

Each phone line should only have one master socket on it, but they may have had two phone lines into property.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Dec-16 21:12:10
Print Post

Isn't Telewest a cable, not DSL, supplier, now part of Virgin Media?

Can you get a dialling tone from the Telewest sockets?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 23:41:16
Print Post

Looks like two separate BT lines.

The one near the telewest socket is a newer BT master socket.

The second socket...

This one is also a master but take note that it does not have BT or a T written on it indicating it might be something someone bought on eBay and did a DIY job.

The wiring coming out of the faceplate is very concerning and the exposed cable we see looks dogey.

Anything installed by BT would clearly be labelled.

It does not look like a telewest socket either.

It could be an extension from the socket by the telewest socket and somebody dogey changed it to another master but that would be very bad.

It might also be a second line (hopefully)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNHuTsVS1nCpP4b...

The socket in the garage is not a master so do not locate the broadband here that's a bad idea.

The best we can hope for is that the BT socket near the telewest socket is activated and the second master does not go live. Then locate your modem etc here and it should perform well.

If both masters go live someone has really played around with the wiring quite badly...
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Dec-16 07:20:20
Print Post

Assuming the garage is the lowest/ground-floor storey of the house, or outside the "footprint" of the main house structure, there may be WiFi problems, if you intend to make much use of that aspect.
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Wed 21-Dec-16 09:23:06
Print Post

m0bov

Surely the first person to ask is the vendor?

Sometimes agents are reluctant to put Vendors & Purchasers in direct touch, in which case you can either:-

1. Get your solicitor to raise the issue with the Vendor's solicitor; or

2. You raise the issue, in writing, with the Vendor's agent's.

2. If you don't get a helpful response to 1 and/or 2 tell the agent that as you can't get an answer you will have to get the wiring checked, and you want confirmation that the Vendor will pay the cost at completion.

NJSS

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Fri 30-Dec-16 12:37:19
Print Post

m0bov

Did you resolve this ?

NJSS

Print Thread

Jump to