Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Jan-17 19:52:51
Print Post

Securing a WiFi network

[link to this post]

While visiting an elderly uncle in Leicestershire in mid-December he asked me to give his PC a check over and similarly his iPad.

I found that his WiFi was completely open, no security set on it. Clearly I was concerned about this and, having checked with one of his sons who was visiting at the time, decided to login to the router to see whatís what. I used IP address 192.168.1.1 and got the login dialogue. Thatís when I hit a problem. I couldnít determine, or guess, the login username or password. Assuming the username was admin I tried various passwords that a Google search suggested, e.g. adslroot, password, 1234.

None of these worked, though Ė occasionally Ė adslroot Ė resulted in a blank screen but nothing appeared after several minutes.

The routerís label on the underside says itís a Time TC5815H. Iím assuming it was supplied by Supanet, his ISP. There is no other details on the router as to login, though the default SSID and network key are shown. There seems to be no manual or user guide for the router.

I have considered a factory reset but am uncertain of other settings that might have been set up in the router, e.g. ADSL username & password, that I may not have all the details. As a result I didnít do a reset.

I emailed Supanet nearly 4 weeks ago but haven't had any response.

Anyone any thoughts on how to get into the router?

Would a factory reset help?

It may be some time before I can get down there to visit so it may be more a matter of getting ideas, possibly getting one his sons to at least try the login, to see whether when I do go I can secure his network.

I should add that it must have been open ever since he went WiFi which is at least 2 years.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Jan-17 07:48:41
Print Post

Re: Securing a WiFi network - sorted

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Just though I'd close this down.

His eldest son was visiting and had a 20 minute call with Supanet staff who led him through the necessary steps. The WiFi is now secured.

The son commented how helpful and competent the Supanet staff had been.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
  Print Thread

Jump to