Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Larry_online85
(newbie) Tue 24-Jan-17 11:18:00
Print Post

Non BT master socket-new fibre line

[link to this post]

Hello, a small business has installed a fibre line to my building, it is a FTTC line so the wiring up to my flat is copper. The engineer swapped the entire faceplate of what was the (inconveniently placed) master socket. I have read a few guides and posts about sending the fibre connection to another socket in the flat.

I understand the pitfalls of losing speed etc. over the copper, but the socket I wish to use is around 3.5 m away form the 'master' so Id at least like to try and then run a speed test on both setups before I think about getting someone in. I also know that the socket I transfer it to will now no longer be used as a phone line - I don't need one.

As can be seen in the pictures below - (first two are the master, last one is the slave Id like to run the router from, with a standard to RJ11 cable) the fibre connection comes in on the two green wires into the master, I have two slave sockets - both pairs of blue wires in the master, connected to the original phone line socket. My question is, on the master socket, do I just krone the two blue wires Id like to transfer the fibre to over the top of the green wires?

socket

Many thanks,

Larry
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jan-17 11:25:20
Print Post

Re: Non BT master socket-new fibre line

[re: Larry_online85] [link to this post]

That master socket is not a BT master socket. The incoming lines on a master socket would connect in to the back of the main plate and only extensions connect in to the removable face plate. Is there a master somewhere else in the building?
(newbie) Tue 24-Jan-17 12:46:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response Ian. Originally it had a BT master socket, well a socket with BT written on it that had a half plate you could remove, the engineer swapped it for this one. Somewhere else in the building is the fibre line which looked like a server box - he showed me a picture on his phone - I presume, our flat is wired into that through the existing telephony wires, he attached a unit via crocodile clips to the two green wires and then went to find the signal at the 'server looking' box downstairs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-17 13:46:16
Print Post

Nothing wrong with that except that it is not a BT one, I guess that there is a DP in the building and does the building owner have an agreement with BT to do internal wiring from DP to final locations?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Tue 24-Jan-17 14:10:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I imagine so - its a Berkeley development with quite a few buildings on it. I only know that the fibre line is purely supplied by the company that have put in a BT business line, that's then rented to the residents if they want it - else its ADSL2 and sub 200kbps upload speed (3-4mbps download) - it kills any overseas file management on the NAS I have.

Ill try the wiring out later to see if it works. I had originally got the idea from vmadmin but on his BT master there seems to be specific termini for sending the fibre to a slave socket, but not mine.

Cheers for the input
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-17 14:30:40
Print Post

The initial problem you will have is that there is no DSL filtering so ANY telephony will need filters. If you are not going to use a phone, Skybox or alarm then you are OK.

I have had a further thought though ... Which is te INCOMING wire and where does it terminate? Is it the ones that go to 2&3 on the master and 4 & 6 in the data side? And is te cable at the top feeding te other socket?

If so, I wonder if the filter is near the DP and voice and DSL fed up seperately? If so, that coudl make it very easy.

M H C

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jan-17 14:38:00
Print Post

Ah, starting to see what is going on there now. It is not a single socket as a BT one would be. The electronics for the data part are completely separate from those of the voice part. So, one of the blue sets of wire is the voice coming in and the other is the voice going to the extension. Then there is the separate data socket which just has incoming.

As you say that would suggest all the filtering is being done at a remote socket somewhere with unfiltered coming on the green wires and filtered on the blue wires. Assuming that it gets a good connection then adding wires on top of the greens as OP suggested ought to work fine (although alternative would be to use gel crimps and just directly connect the incoming greens to the extension cable and do away with the use of that data socket altogether (would avoid potential for future confusion but would also make it more difficult to "undo" if needed later on).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-17 14:48:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If it is what I think then there could be a master elsewhere and that master circuitry can cause problems.

Moving the blue wires across in a NO-NO - don't mix colours. The wiring to the extension socket also has a green pair and they should be Kroned on top, Then, at the extension sockets, change the 1 gang modular face plate to a two gang and then fit an RJ11/12/45 socket connected to the extended Green pair.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-17 17:52:35
Print Post

What MHC said sounds the most sensible option.

i.e. only need to use the green pair, and IDC will accept another wire into each jar and then another socket with the modular face plate setup

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-17 14:45:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for all the advice, the position I would like the router to be has a big face plate with plenty of blanking spots. Il order an RJ11 module and do it properly with the green pair as you suggest.

At least then the telephone socket will still operate - as i will no doubt forget what I have done in a few months anyway!

Cheers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to