Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 15:05:14
Print Post

Sky wireless extender keeps disconnecting

[link to this post]

Until recently, my sky wireless extender has functioned flawlessly with my various different routers. I have noticed that now, the unit will only stay connected to the router for about an hour at a time, before dropping the ip address. I have tried a full factory reset using the pin hole at the back of the unit and also using the ethernet cable. After the reset, it stays connected for about 24 hours and then drops. I then have to turn it off and on and allow the connection to re- establish.

Any ideas anyone please, or is it time to get a new solution?

Thanks

Mark

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Feb-17 19:58:06
Print Post

Re: Sky wireless extender keeps disconnecting

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Have more SSID appeared in the area? Or it could be a baby monitor or other 2.4GHz based device causing issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-17 20:47:06
Print Post

Have you tried moving it closer to the router?

Likely some extra wireless devices have been introduced in the area, adding interference and causing it to drop. Moving it closer will increase the likelihood it holds on.

Alternatively it might have had it. In which case replace it smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 21:05:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No. There are very few broadcasting SSID in this area for some reason.I'm sure I can be the only internet user in my street smile

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 21:07:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I haven't tried that, but I could do as a trial. It has always been located in its current location which is the other end of a 20 foot room, but with a wall running through the line of sight. It is in that location to extend the signal to the conservatory and garden.

Mark

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-17 22:08:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
No. There are very few broadcasting SSID in this area for some reason.I'm sure I can be the only internet user in my street smile
Bear in mind it is the following devices that typically cause the issues, not routers:
1) Baby monitors
2) Bluetooth devices e.g. mice, keyboards, headphones
3) Cordless phones operating at 2.4Ghz (wireless landlines)
4) Wireless doorbells at 2.4ghz
5) Wireless Audio / video transmitters e.g. devices which transmit the Sky box wirelessly to upstairs.

Any of these devices could have been introduced by a neighbour, and could be impacting your wifi repeaters ability to hang onto the signal.

I would go into your SKY Router, and set the channel manually to something else as well. Choose 1, 6 or 11. If you are already on channel 1, choose something different such as channel 11.
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Tue 07-Feb-17 20:04:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Didn't think it was the router to be fair, but the actual white repeater box that is not holding the signal.

Have moved it closer to the router, but still disconnects. Haven't used a Sky router with it for 3 years now, always worked flawlessly with my other routers.

End of life maybe, but as a last resort I will try it at a mates house first.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-17 23:00:08
Print Post

I must add, these sky wireless repeaters are the worst repeaters I've ever used. The amount they compromise throughput is unbelievable.

I would strongly recommend setting up a wireless AP and running ethernet.

Do it once, do it right.
  Print Thread

Jump to