Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-17 12:14:49
Print Post

WiFi Router recommendations

[link to this post]

Afternoon,

I am looking for a new WiFi AP or VDSL Router.

Our WiFi is, well [censored].

I have the older HG533 From talktalk and also the newer "SuperHub" but both seem useless when it comes to WiFi.

In the living room is where the router is and even in the same room the WiFi is slow and unpredictable and rather slow despite having a strong signal and fast connection (300Mbps+)

And it's even worse upstairs... Around 5 meters distance through the wooden floor and a plaster board wall and it barely works.

I was looking at this:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/...

It's not to expensive. Budget is a MAX of £170. We don't need no fancy features either, VPN, Print server etc.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Cheers

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Attainable Rate: DL: 103884 UL: 28269
Connection Speed: DL: 79650 Kbps UL: 19999 Kbps
SNR: DL: 7.2 UL: 14.4=9
Attenuation: DL: 8.7 UL: 2.9
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sat 25-Feb-17 12:51:40
Print Post

Re: WiFi Router recommendations

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Modem side on the ASUS DSL series is not great.

You might be better with:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/...

There is a Mk2 version on Amazon for £11 more:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Arc...
Standard User plankton
(regular) Sat 25-Feb-17 14:26:07
Print Post

If your issue is Wifi consider https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LI... . Best tech thing I've done in my house for ages, bomb proof wifi ... they are hard wired with CAT5e but My neighbour has used one with powerline adaptors with great success.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Feb-17 19:33:42
Print Post

Have you made sure that you don't have any conflicts with your neighbours?

Michael Chare
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-17 22:25:03
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I have.

There are no 5G networks at all near me, and even that from the TT router is useless.

I have to have a WiFi router IN MY ROOM just for my phone or it cant get a good enough connection to work. It will connect at only a few mbps.

I even have a WiFi extender half way between me and the router and even connecting to that gives a very weak connection that is unusable.

BUT If I plug in my Netgear wifi stick to my PC it will connect ok ish, I get about Mbps out of it but every other device struggles so much to get any speed out of the wifi.

Could it also be number of devices?? We have 4 phones 3 tablets 2 laptops witch most of are connected all the time.

Our TV is on power line adaptors as it wont even connect to the WiFi at all..

It's just all a huge mess. And changing channels is tricky as there is a LOT of 2.4G WiFi networks showing up on every channel going frown

A WiFi set up that has the power to cover the house and breakthrough any interference from other networks.. if such a thing sexists, would be great.

The ubiquity networks WiFi hub may be a good idea. I have hear good things from Lu

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 04:14:53
Print Post

My talktalk router has better range than my £200 netgear night hawk, my BT homehub 6 and the virginmedia super hub.

Generally speaking my talktalk router got through 4 solid walls just fine and I could still stream 1080p YouTube on my PS4. The other routers could not even connect.

Your issue is likely due to the building materials in your property e.g. Using metal sheilding in the walls for insulation etc.

I would get a HG635 as a starting point as the hg633 has few wireless issues which are known and cannot be fixed easily. If that does not help you'll need to get multiple APs.

Regarding 2.4ghz choose either channel 1 6 or 11. Never choose a channel such as channel 3. If you need info why I can provide links later. Also only use 20mhz on 2.4ghz

I think your building is just constructed in a way that is bad for wireless.
Any concrete, metal or large amounts of water will pretty much stop wifi.

As for no of devices I've had 35 on my talktalk router back in the day just fine. All on the wifi. That's a hg635 though.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 26-Feb-17 04:15:41)

Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Sun 26-Feb-17 08:59:18
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Regarding 2.4ghz choose either channel 1 6 or 11. Never choose a channel such as channel 3. If you need info why I can provide links later. Also only use 20mhz on 2.4ghz

I've seen this posted before, but never really understood why, so would appreciate you posting the links.

My suggestion to the OP was to try two or three different WiFI scanners on his phone as mine all tell a slightly different story.

It should certainly be possible to see where the congestion is and how the signal drops from room to room, although I suspect he may already have tried this from what he has posted.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-17 10:12:37
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I did this, And I could see every other 2.4Ghz network using Channel 11.

So I set mine to 1.

The channel 1, 6 or 11 thing is to stop any "overlapping" of the networks.

A network on channel 3 and one on channel 1 will interfere with each other. but if they are on 1 6 and 11 they wont.

But then any networks that are on the same channel will fight for bandwidth as each device has to talk "in turn". If there is not to many devices on said networks its not usually an issue.

I understand how WiFi works but what I don't understand is why the WiFi in my house is so god damn bad.

The internal walls are plaster board upstairs with standard fiberglass insulation and the downstairs walls are all brick.

What I have noticed on my phone this morning after downloading some test files from TBB is that the download speed will start off at around 2.5MB a second and quickly drop off to below 1MB and then just fail.

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 10:15:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
My suggestion to the OP was to try two or three different WiFI scanners on his phone as mine all tell a slightly different story.
Acrylic Wifi on Windows is another option if you have a wifi enabled laptop.

Michael Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 10:31:35
Print Post

If you can't get a decent wifi connection between two pieces of equipment in the same room, then something is wrong, such as a piece of equipment not working properly or some sort of interference. If changing the equipment does not help, I would try switching off every electrical device that you can.

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 10:34:36
Print Post

As others have said stay away from Asus modem routers, due to Asus using the notorious Mediatek modem chipset - they make very good standalone routers though.

The TP Link VR900 & Netgear D6400 are both very good options but if you want the very best wifi coverage then you should be using a 4 stream Mu-Mimo wifi router or access point. The Netgear D7800, Billion 8900AX & TP Link VR2600 are currently the best modem/routers around (all are 4 stream) but are out of your budget, they're > £200. However the Netgear R7800 (modem-less version of D7800) is a superb bit of kit at £169, it uses the latest QCA radios and you would need to put your existing TalkTalk router into bridge mode in order to use its modem connected to the R7800. Once you install DD-WRT firmware on your R7800 (an absolute doddle) then you can tweak your router's radios even more to give you the optimum range - obviously you should stick to the local wifi power regulations wink.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R7800-100UKS-Nighth...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=289788

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 26-Feb-17 10:36:31)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-17 11:08:59
Print Post

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I have dug out an old but fairly good TP Link WDR3600 thats running DD-WRT Firmware I forgot I had. I was looking at some old routers I got laying about to test out and found this. It used to be a Sam Knows Monitoring thingy I got from them many years ago and after the 1 year it was mine to keep so I put on DD-WRT. Messed with it a bit but did not need it at the time.

With the HG533, in the same room I would get around 2-3MB download speed from it.

The TP Link is 8-9MB.. so max speed of my internet connection!

Up stairs its not so great but works better than the HG533 did. I have a WiFi extender to sort that out.

Hmm!! the plot thickens. The TP link is not AC WiFi mind but only a few devices in the house are and don't really need that kind of speed I guess

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Standard User Mml
(learned) Sun 26-Feb-17 12:11:13
Print Post

This was what I wanted to suggest while I was reading this topic but I see you figured it out yourself.
The good practice would be to use one Wi-Fi emitting box per floor, be it an extender, an AP or an old router. YouTube is full of clips on how to reuse your old router as a signal extender. I can't understand the people happy to spend £300 on a new box with super powerful Wi-Fi if you could use two boxes you already have, and spend nothing!
And it wouldn't really matter if your main router, in this case TP-Link, doesn't support Wi-Fi ac band, you could put an ac-capable box as a repeater for one floor only.
You mentioned having a BT Hub if I'm not mistaken - which generation is it? If it's 5 or above, it'll have ac Wi-Fi and they all have red WAN port so you could set it up as just a signal extender.

Edited by Mml (Sun 26-Feb-17 12:17:26)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-17 13:17:45
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
And it wouldn't really matter if your main router, in this case TP-Link, doesn't support Wi-Fi ac band, you could put an ac-capable box as a repeater for one floor only.
You mentioned having a BT Hub if I'm not mistaken - which generation is it? If it's 5 or above, it'll have ac Wi-Fi and they all have red WAN port so you could set it up as just a signal extender.

My wifi extender is AC so that picks up the N from the TP link and "repeats" it but on AC.

I do not have a BT HH. Only a BT OR Modem. Witch, if the TP link router does well with wifi over the next few days, I will connect the OR Modem to its wan port and scrap the Talk Talk HG533.

I still have the newer super hub that does have AC Wifi and if needed I could set that up as an AP.

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Standard User 961a
(member) Sun 26-Feb-17 13:31:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

I've seen this posted before, but never really understood why, so would appreciate you posting the links.

You may find this useful regarding selecting channels and the reasons why

http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/design-du...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 16:24:40
Print Post

Here is the reality of an AP on channel 1, 6 and 11. See they use more than just 1 channel.
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/0...

Good link also:
http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-chann...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 26-Feb-17 16:25:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to