Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Wed 15-Mar-17 23:38:49
Print Post

VPN Capable Router

[link to this post]

Hi all ... looking for recommendations for a cheap (less than £50) VPN capable ADSL2+ router.

I'm not overly bothered about the latest high speed wifi standards but need reliable hardware that can connect to a VPN and preferably has a kill switch capability. Happy to flash a stock router with DD-WRT or Tomato if needs be as opposed to buying one already flashed....

So what makes and models can you recommend that fit the price bracket please?

Many thanks in advance....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:37:17
Print Post

Re: VPN Capable Router

[re: stubbyd] [link to this post]

What do you mean by kill switch?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:15:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's a function offered by a number of VPN suppliers to kill the internet connection if the VPN drops. I've no idea if that would work when using a hardware device establishing the VPN though so thus my "preferable" line.

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:34:47
Print Post

Can you just setup openVPN or something similar on a system in your home? If you have a system laying around you could make it a server of some sorts, have it a VPN, maybe a NAS kinda device, etc.

Alternatively quite a few netgear routers around £80 support VPN.

No idea re the "kill switch."
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:32:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by stubbyd:
Hi all ... looking for recommendations for a cheap (less than £50) VPN capable ADSL2+ router.

I'm not overly bothered about the latest high speed wifi standards but need reliable hardware that can connect to a VPN and preferably has a kill switch capability. Happy to flash a stock router with DD-WRT or Tomato if needs be as opposed to buying one already flashed....

Why do you want a router that will connect to a VPN, and what VPN do you wish to connect to?

What type of VPN do you want to use? OpenVPN is the most secure but not widely available.

I have not had a problem establishing OpenVPN connections from my laptop at various locations.

This list may help.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Mar-17 18:47:13
Print Post

Still cannot answer, most broadband routers are happy with outgoing VPN, where the PC is doing all the control work, and if you need every device on the connection to be using the VPN then consider possibly some of the business vigor units. Otherwise the open source DDWRT variations are your best bet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Thu 16-Mar-17 19:35:04
Print Post

pre used draytek off ebay; I picked one up for £25.
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 23:06:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Cheers Michael - appreciate the link to the list but they are a bit outside my current budget. Maybe save up for a few more days.

There are many reasons I want a VPN to run form my router but primary amongst them is privacy from a snooping government.
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 23:08:24
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

You're right of course - I could do that but I want to protect my non tech aware family from the get go and the simplest way of doing that would be (as I see it) a VPN capable of connecting to my chosen VPN provider.
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 23:10:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you again for the reply ... I have no issue with finding a router capable of doing this it's just trying to find one within budget. Which probably means not the most recent.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to