Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 23:11:34
Print Post

Re: VPN Capable Router

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

That's a good shout - thank you.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Mar-17 23:12:14
Print Post

[re: stubbyd] [link to this post]

What is the need for this VPN in the first instance? You mention security, what are you trying to secure? If they're just browsing Facebook or whatever you're probably over engineering things.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:39:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
What is the need for this VPN in the first instance? You mention security, what are you trying to secure? If they're just browsing Facebook or whatever you're probably over engineering things.

Not really, VPNs should be the norm with all the government snooping included in the IP act.

By having a deadbolt on my front door I'm probably overengineering things, surely nobody would try to break in....

That said, I gave up on using VPN for everything from home, too many forums etc block VPN and Hosting IP ranges, and none of the VPN providers can sustain decent throughput, I've yet to try one that will give me over about 60mbit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:50:42
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

And if the VPN drops out outside the UK then access to online services like iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc could be a problem.

Personally I have no thought that the government would find anything interesting about me and if they are that bored they want to look at what I am doing online then good luck to them.
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Sun 26-Mar-17 13:56:03
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I really don't see why my reasons are important here.

The bottom line is are you able to suggest a something that would fit my needs or not?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Mar-17 14:25:02
Print Post

To get the VPN kill switch feature you will need to install DD-WRT or Merlin firmware on a router and AFAIK combined modem/routers cannot have 3rd party fw installed on them - you will need to buy a standalone router, flash it with 3rd party fw and piggy back that onto your existing router or modem.

I would recommend something like the Asus RT-N66U which can have either DD-WRT or Merlin fw installed on it and is supposed to be rock solid. A few second hand RT-N66s going for less that 50 notes on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162441166306
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232278430653
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322463712568

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Mar-17 14:42:07
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
none of the VPN providers can sustain decent throughput, I've yet to try one that will give me over about 60mbit.

a) You need a high quality VPN provider such as vpn.ac or airvpn.org. Forget about the likes of tunnelbear, nordvpn, private internet access et al.

b) Most consumer routers don't have the processing power to run anything > 30 mbps on an OpenVPN connection which is generally regarded as having the best encryption.

Using vpn.ac on my Netgear R9000 (with a quadcore Annapurna CPU) gives me Openvpn speeds of ~65mbps on my 80/20 vdsl2 connection.

TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 26-Mar-17 14:43:57)

Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 16:28:36
Print Post

Pfsense is a free software firewall you can install on an old desktop PC. Does everything you could ask.

You will need to get your hands dirty mind you.

I run OpenVPN on it and direct whatever traffic\devices I want down it. Has no issue at 56Mbps. Doesn't even hit 20% CPU
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Mar-17 18:17:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by stubbyd:
I really don't see why my reasons are important here.

The bottom line is are you able to suggest a something that would fit my needs or not?
Given you haven't explained what you are needing it for, hard for me to fit the bill.

I know certain VPNs are much better for handling video traffic than others, certainly some routers I've tried out can't sustain a simple Netflix stream over their VPN despite 20Mbps upload.
Standard User deviousiphone
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 20:44:19
Print Post

I use private internet access and can hit about 200mbps no problem downloads peak at around 21MB/s
Although I connect via VPN on a per device basis not through the router due to being a gamer and not wanting to up my ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to