Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 07:36:33
Print Post

VPN From Phone to Home PC

[link to this post]

I am trying.. (In vein) to set up a VPN connection from my mobile (Android) to my home PC to use its internet connection as I believe o2 are throttling my 4g on some sites and want to test this.

I have set up an incoming connection on my PC, I set up port fording on my router and also opened the ports in windows firewall.. Witch is making life hard as it wont work right and open ports.. I have been checking the ports are open via grc.com shields up test and finally got port 1723 to show as open and not closed or stealth.

I have set up a vpn connection on my phone but it wont connect. Just says "Unsuccessful". I tried on my Z4 Tablet as well with the same error. (Mobile is a OnePlus 3T if it helps)

Please help before I pull my hair out! I just cant get it to connect.

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Attainable Rate: DL: 103884 UL: 28269
Connection Speed: DL: 79650 Kbps UL: 19999 Kbps
SNR: DL: 7.2 UL: 14.4=9
Attenuation: DL: 8.7 UL: 2.9

Edited by Seansmit17 (Fri 07-Apr-17 07:41:38)

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 07-Apr-17 08:06:34
Print Post

Re: VPN From Phone to Home PC

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I have set up an incoming connection on my PC

More info required, what VPN server software are you using; my windows server 2008 has a built in ipsec VPN server.
Ian
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 08:46:26
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

none?

I just set up an incoming connection. I have done this before but it was a mate connecting via vpn from his PC at that time. I remember it was a pain to set up and get working then as well!

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 08:52:31
Print Post

Ok I scrapped the connect to my pc via vpn idea.. and instead got DD-WRT running on my router and tada.. It has a built in VPN server.

Set it up and bam.. connected..

See was that so hard?! Looking at you Windows 10...

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Stats
Standard User roughbeast
(member) Fri 07-Apr-17 09:31:11
Print Post

Really, setting up what amounts to a VPN server on your PC isn't the best way forward. It commits you to having your PC always on.

For me the best way to set up a VPN is via your router, assuming you have a router with VPN client / server capability. I do this with my Asus N66U for phone connections and for internet connections from abroad whenever I need to appear to be in this country.

If you have an Apple Mac based system, neither of the options will work because Apple have upgraded their device's security criteria for VPN to beyond that of a PPTP VPN server.

Some recommended VPN routers.

If you want L2PT level security for an Apple device then you need a Tomato flash router or convert your current router to Tomato.

Virgin Media: 300Mb/20Mb , land line, mobiles x4, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box. Superhub3 in modem-only mode. Using RT-N66U router.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Apr-17 10:35:18
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
If you have an Apple Mac based system, neither of the options will work because Apple have upgraded their device's security criteria for VPN to beyond that of a PPTP VPN server.
PPTP is broken and should not be used, except in scenarios where you are content that the traffic is effectively unsecured.

IPsec using IKEv2 can be easier to setup than L2TP/IPsec, and has the advantages of built-in support on many operating systems.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to