Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Wed 12-Apr-17 20:25:47
Print Post

Home network cctv throughput issue.

[link to this post]

I'm not sure if you guys can help me in this,.. but for a few years now I've had a Swann cctv home system and it uses Wincpap to I think transmit or somehow set the throughput of the images to a program I have on my computer (I think this is the case, not 100% sure).

I've installed the program on a few computers, and i've also tried different versions yet sometimes the images transmitted only reach about 120 KB/s and on other times I've installed the program its throughput is over 2 MB/s.

I'm not sure if its this Winpcap program that controls the throughput. But its very annoying.

If anyone else has a home cctv setup then let me know your recommendations. This throughput issue is very annoying. I have 63MB down and 20UP. I know I can download a lot of MB's per second, so this 120KB/s is frustrating.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Apr-17 21:15:32
Print Post

Re: Home network cctv throughput issue.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Is the 120 KB/sec 120 Kilo bits per second (i.e. very very low quality) or 120 Kilo Bytes per second and a more reasonable figure with good streaming usually.

It may be the bit rate the cameras are encoding at that is the issue, since encoding live video at higher bit rates needs better processing in the camera and old ones will not be pushing speeds anywhere need what broadband can manage these days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Thu 13-Apr-17 14:00:18
Print Post

Re: Home network cctv throughput issue.

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not sure. It was listed as KB/s . For some reason now I've rebooted a few times the feed as gone back to 1.05 MB/s.

So I guess its some windows setting thats controlling the speed? It's not really the best program. I wish there was an alternative program to SwannView Link. The only time alternatives have been talked about in google searches have been when people are looking for android apps.

So far it seems to have gone back to being a good quality.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to