Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 09:37:10
Print Post

Sonos, Router & AP

[link to this post]

I have had an issue with the songs app not being able to connect after roaming between my router and AP. I’ve got the following setup

Vodafone router. wired devices are:
1. Sonos speaker
2. Powerline adapter - in turn connected via the other adapter to a 4 port unmanaged switch which has TV, blu-ray and NAS connected
3. Ethernet port on the wall. This is then wired via un-managed PoE switch to the AP - A Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro

With this setup, I found that with a ‘fresh’ setup, i.e everything powered off, then the sonos app can see the speaker when connecting via wifi from the vodafone router. Roaming to pick up the AP, no problems either. Moving back to the router, then the connection is lost.

After some testing, I was convinced this was the router. To get around the issue, I plugged my old Netgear DGN2000 into the router and used it to provide the wifi. No issues with roaming at all.

Yesterday, I decided to swap out my ‘two box’ solution and installed a TP-Link VR600. Unfortunately, the same issue occurs. Again, using the Netgear for the wifi, solves the issue.

I’m at a loss as to what the problem can be!
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 09:49:38
Print Post

Re: Sonos, Router & AP

[re: mattan] [link to this post]

SONOS devices can be a bit difficult when wired as the wireless interface remains active. This can cause problems on the network so it's worth seeing if disabling wifi on the SONOS fixes things.

Have a look at the instructions at https://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 10:16:18
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Disabling the wifi isn't an option as I have 3 other players around the house that use the Sonos mesh network.

I omitted that out of my first post - oops.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Jun-17 10:48:40
Print Post

Have you tried connecting all via wifi (not sure if possible).

Are all of your APs the same SSID, if not this is likely your issue.
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 11:07:17
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi,

I've not recently tried unplugging the hardwired sonos speaker as using just wifi, so will try that with the new router.

Yes, all on same SSID and password.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 14:29:46
Print Post

In which case, can you connect the SONOS that is currently wired by wireless only? You should be able to if it's within range of the wifi network. As long as the SONOS firmware is up to date you no longer need a wired connection to the network.

If you can't, it may be worth trying a SONOS Bridge to link to the wired network. I have an unused Bridge (never been installed) if you would like to test one.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 15:15:51
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Hi,

I'll give that a go and see what happens. I've also got a bridge (unpacked too!), but would imagine the same problem (worth checking though).

Thanks.
Standard User mattan
(newbie) Sat 10-Jun-17 21:56:53
Print Post

Hi @caffn8me

I tried the wireless set up and still no luck. This means there's probably no issue with the router communicating between the WLAN and LAN, but something about 'handing back' from the AP or the Sonos system not picking up that I've roamed back

Really unsure as to what is going on
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jun-17 00:03:49
Print Post

I kind of want to blame the Sonos, they do stupid things like if you switch to an AP with a different SSID it fails to work. I used to have a sonos system and I ended up switching to Bluetooth as I found it too annoying. Like yourself I had mystery of why it often didn't work when everything else did.
  Print Thread

Jump to