Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cymru123
(member) Mon 10-Jul-17 09:33:32
Print Post

Any alternatives to a local NAS?

[link to this post]

We have a local NAS which it's hard drives is yet again about to go.
Instead of getting another NAS and several drives, are there any other good alternatives people are using instead?

At the moment we have about 4TB of space which we are currently utilising around 400GB.

I'm currently working on the feasibility of moving onto a public cloud service such as AWS or Azure using their compute and block storage services along with SoftNAS software to handle the behaviour and interface.
Although this is looking to be very expensive per month for a large amount of data being stored (though with this being a cloud service, it's easy to scale on demand).

This solution wouldn't be beneficial at the moment due the broadband connection currently available, however with the availability of FTTP coming in the next month or so (well hopefully, but that's another story) then the connection issues would be less a problem.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Cheers
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jul-17 14:18:47
Print Post

Re: Any alternatives to a local NAS?

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

How many users? How is the data used (ie is it primarily for archive storage or are the regularly reads/writes from the storage)? What level of redundancy is needed? Are you using mirrored NAS? What sort of files? What is the largest individual file?

From a cost perspective NAS boxes can be very cheap. Cloud tends to be fairly expensive - depending on requirements. The more you spend on local NAS solutions the better you can handle individual failures (ie disk failures).

400GB isn't a lot of space - something like G-Suite might be a reasonable solution depending on number of users. MS also do storage solutions (eg OneDrive or SharePoint Online).
Standard User cymru123
(member) Mon 10-Jul-17 19:32:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

There are currently 5 different credentials (limited to various shares), however the shares are used by multiple users be that human and a range of different devices. It is currently used for an array of different uses from storing family documents, videos, music and photos to storing files used for system and web applications. It is also used for the apple "time machine" backups.

Typically the largest file at present is the apple device backups.

The data is currently mirrored in a RAID 1 like configuration.
I have a G-Suite account already, although I'm not sure the included cloud based storage would suite the current use.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 10forcash
(regular) Tue 11-Jul-17 00:05:20
Print Post

Stay with the NAS, use decent quality drives and consider an active UPS to protect the drives, if you must use 'the cloud', use it as an offsite backup (not withstanding the following caveats).
Remember that if you are processing data, you are a 'data controller' therefore you must consider an appropriate level of security (encryption and /or salting the data), using 'the cloud' brings its own considerations, not least jurisdiction over the data never mind availability and security.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 11-Jul-17 08:14:12
Print Post

For 400GB, it's not worth the effort to go 'cloud'. It's far cheaper to stay local NAS. It's quicker to access as well.

Look around, you can get some decent priced HDDs.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 11-Jul-17 10:55:36
Print Post

I looked at various options recently and settled on using a Synology NAS in house and set that up to sync with a 1 TB Dropbox plan as a cloud backup of the NAS.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:13:34
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
... and set that up to sync with a 1 TB Dropbox plan as a cloud backup of the NAS.
On the face of it, that sounds risky- sync'ing is not backup.

If something gets corrupted (inadvertently deleted/modified etc) on the NAS, there's a good chance that at the next sync it will simply be replicated on the cloud drive.

Backup needs "history" so you can retrieve earlier versions.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:24:48
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

A fair comment.

Dropbox has 30 days of version history on personal plans, longer on business plans.
I mainly wanted a low cost offsite backup to cover total loss of NAS be that hardware failure, house fire or theft. Dropbox fills that need at the moment.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:28:59
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
I mainly wanted a low cost offsite backup to cover total loss of NAS be that hardware failure, house fire or theft. Dropbox fills that need at the moment.
That's fair enough.

If something fulfils its requirements then anything else is OTT smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:34:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I would not setup a NAS without using a RAID configuration of some sort, then at least you've got piece of mind if a drive fails or corruption occurs. It would then be easier to add a backup option.

Mostly I've fount it more cost effective to build my own NAS than buying a pre-made one
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to