Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:38:12
Print Post

Re: Any alternatives to a local NAS?

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

As others have said stick with NAS but use quality hardware such as Synology kit which will minimise the risk of failures.

Since you are also hoping to have FTTP installed in the near future, you may want to consider purchasing the Netgear R9000 router. As well as being a brilliant router for wifi coverage (tho forget about its 802.11ad capability - its a novelty for now) this has a 10gb/s LAN port (SFP+) and is capable of doing auto backups to Amazon Cloud from your NAS. You get a free 6 month Amazon Cloud sub with the router and then it costs $60 a year for a 1TB storage plan with Amazon. The router also has a Plex Media Server built-in which is able to transcode streams in real-time due to its processing power. It has a Alpine 1.7ghz quadcore processor, 1GB DDR3 RAM and 512MB of flash memory. Of course all this doesn't come cheap, its priced at £400 but like with most things in life you get what you pay for.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wi...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-re...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 11-Jul-17 11:38:17
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
I would not setup a NAS without using a RAID configuration of some sort, then at least you've got piece of mind if a drive fails or corruption occurs.

Agreed.
I have my NAS in RAID to mirror for full drive failure redundancy and to backup to an external USB drive attached to the NAS to cover mechanical failure of the NAS itself.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Tue 11-Jul-17 20:52:44
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Depending on how many bays you have in your NAS (3 minimum, 4 preferred) using RAID 6 would give 2 drives, with 2 drive redundancy (Disk1 + Disk2 = Total Space / Disk 3 + Disk 4 = Redundancy).

My Synology NAS only has 2 drives so I'm using the Synology Hybrid RAID for mirroring. I am looking at building either a FreeNAS box or an XPenology box to increase redundancy for our data (and increase space too!)

Regards,
Haydn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(learned) Tue 25-Jul-17 17:18:19
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In my experience what makes the difference is not the NAS device but the drives.

Anything less than enterprise drives with a 5 year warranty and a bit error rate of 10e15 and you are asking for trouble.

The final thing to do is say run a RAID1 and buy your two drives from different manufactures. So say a WD RE drive and a Seagate Iron Wolf Pro. The drives are significantly more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for. By buying two different drives from different manufactures you avoid the issue where there is a problem with a drive model and you loose two drives in quick succession.
Standard User cymru123
(member) Sat 21-Oct-17 15:07:56
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Just to update this, have gone for the Synology DS216+II with some good quality NAS drives in a RAID1 configuration. Plenty of room for expansion and utilisation. Plus now with a FTTP connection seems to be used a lot more.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Oct-17 15:26:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Since you are also hoping to have FTTP installed in the near future, you may want to consider purchasing the Netgear R9000 router. As well as being a brilliant router for wifi coverage (tho forget about its 802.11ad capability - its a novelty for now) this has a 10gb/s LAN port (SFP+) and is capable of doing auto backups to Amazon Cloud from your NAS.

Although if you do actually want a router it's not a good choice - it can't route between the Internet and the local network.

I am presently in a dispute with Netgear over this.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Oct-17 17:14:31
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Since you are also hoping to have FTTP installed in the near future, you may want to consider purchasing the Netgear R9000 router. As well as being a brilliant router for wifi coverage (tho forget about its 802.11ad capability - its a novelty for now) this has a 10gb/s LAN port (SFP+) and is capable of doing auto backups to Amazon Cloud from your NAS.

Although if you do actually want a router it's not a good choice - it can't route between the Internet and the local network.
What exactly do you mean? What is it that you can not do?

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Oct-17 19:15:02
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

I am presently in a dispute with Netgear over this.

I assume this is your review on Amazon?

NAT can be disabled in router mode by going to advanced>setup>wan setup
and changing NAT filtering to 'open'

What do you mean by "it can't route between internet and the local network"? It does what it says on the box, though if you want advanced functionality on it such as routing your internet traffic through OpenVPN, adjusting the wifi radio power etc then installing Kong's DD-WRT firmware is your best bet. Over on smallnetbuilder.com this is one of the most popular routers amongst router enthusiasts.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Oct-17 22:53:34
Print Post

I assume this is your review on Amazon?

NAT can be disabled in router mode by going to advanced>setup>wan setup
and changing NAT filtering to 'open'

Unless something's changed that doesn't disable NAT, it just changes it to full cone NAT.

What do you mean by "it can't route between internet and the local network"? It does what it says on the box, though if you want advanced functionality on it such as routing your internet traffic through OpenVPN, adjusting the wifi radio power etc then installing Kong's DD-WRT firmware is your best bet. Over on smallnetbuilder.com this is one of the most popular routers amongst router enthusiasts.

I mean exactly what I say. It can't route between Internet and local network, it can only NAT. That is not what it says on the box, it claims to be a router. Expecting a router to be able to route isn't unreasonable.

Thanks for the advice on DD-WRT, I will check it out for sure.
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Oct-17 22:58:01
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
What exactly do you mean? What is it that you can not do?

Use this router to segment my home network and place the wireless clients on a different network from the wired servers. NAT is no good to me. A stateful firewall between one network and the other is no use to me. I need 2 way communication, however I also need the device in router mode so that it can do DHCP detail for some clients and can properly segment guest wireless network clients from the private one.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Sat 21-Oct-17 23:00:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to