Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dilby
(newbie) Wed 19-Jul-17 19:15:56
Print Post

Connecting but no internet, sparodic

[link to this post]

Hi all -

I was hoping someone could help me as I'm desperate and BT are no help at all!

I have BT broadband with a BT HomeHub5. Its all been working fine but 2 weeks ago my wife bought an iPad pro. We connected it to the router wirelessly to use online (like any guest in our house does), it connected fine to the wireless network itself but the internet wouldnt load. We thought it must be an issue with the iPad but it turned out that none of our devices loaded the net. We assumed then that the net must be down, but it's been like that since. I've called BT countless times and they keep going through their scripted replies; is it split to 5ghz, have you turned it off, reset it, let us check the connected etc. Then they say they'll call back and never do, yet mark it as fixed on their system. They even told me it was the routers fault and sent me a new one, which is exactly the same.

Weirdly, there's no rhyme and reason to it. One moment my iPhone will be okay and my wife's MacBook but not my iMac or the BT box, and then it will be none of them but my iPad and the roku box. It's as if they're all fighting (as you can tell I am not very technical - but neither it seems are the BT people who have tried to help). So I'm at a bit of an impasse; they have told me its £129 to send someone out which makes me livid.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Jul-17 20:48:03
Print Post

Re: Connecting but no internet, sparodic

[re: dilby] [link to this post]

Can you check what IP address the various devices are getting?

The iMac can you try connecting it via Ethernet to rule out the wifi as an issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Jul-17 08:56:18
Print Post

Is the iPad Pro the mobile/4G version? If so, is the personal hotspot turned on? Wondering if other devices are connecting to it rather than your normal wifi.

Or, when setting up the iPad Pro did you set it up to share wifi settings with other devices? Possibly something is wrong with the settings on the new iPad and it has managed to distribute them (although that shouldn't be likely as if the settings are wrong it shouldn't be able to distribute them as it has no Internet).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:12:36
Print Post

Is the light on the home hub blue? If so that's indicates you are online and the issue lies elsewhere especially given you have tried a different router.

If you disconnect / turn off the new iPad does everything work fine? Some faulty devices have been known to mess up the wifi entirely.
Standard User dilby
(newbie) Fri 21-Jul-17 17:11:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks all -

Sorry for the late reply, but i've had internet issues!

The iMac is connected via ethernet, and it's pretty reliable. However the bt tv box is connected via ethernet and it's hardly ever working, so I don't think the issue is specially the wireless.

I checked some IP addresses and there don't seem to be clashes. For example, as I type this only my MacBook and iPhone are connected on the wireless, but neither work. There IP's are as follows:

macbook 192.168.10.107
iphone 192.168.10.103

In regards to it being a dodgy iPad - how do I check that and what could it have done? It's not connected to the network since so I'm unsure how to diagnose and solve.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jul-17 10:31:15
Print Post

Its take iPad and try it out on another wireless network

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jul-17 10:33:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Those LAN IP addresses don't seem to match the default IP range that HomeHubs use which is believe is

192.168.1.x

So it may be you have two DHCP servers operating on the network i.e. home hub and another device, so as suggesting things like Personal Hot Spots could be a cause.

Print Thread

Jump to