Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JoCar0411
(newbie) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:57:17
Print Post

Using BT HH5 with Sky Q Hub

[link to this post]

Hi there. First time poster, know a little but not enough it seems lol.

I have recently moved across to Sky Fibre from BT Fibre so have went from the BT HH5 to the Sky Q Hub. Sky seems brill so far, fast speeds, decent connection etc etc.

While on BT I used the Access Control settings on the HH5 to limit the Internet times for the many devices in my house (a few kids, all different ages, so different Internet times). Of course the Q Hub does not have this facility, only the one to limit the Internet for all devices under the same rule.

I am trying to use the HH5 as the wireless gateway so that I can still control this but have come across some issues.
I used this guide http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre/BT-Home-Hub-as-Acc... and while it works fine with Internet and Wifi working no problems everything connected still shows up only in the Q Hub Admin and not in the HH5 Admin. This means I can't use the Access Control frown
Is there something else I have to do or can I just use the HH5 as the only one for my Sky broadband connection?

A big post, cheers for reading laugh
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 19:51:33
Print Post

Re: Using BT HH5 with Sky Q Hub

[re: JoCar0411] [link to this post]

You could try using the HH5 wan ethernet port to connect it to the Sky Q Hub. The HH5 should have DHCP working. Make sure your family members can only use the HH5 Wifi.

The HH5 and Sky Q Hub should use different IP ranges. i.e. one might be 192.168.1.x and the other might be 192.168.2.x

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Aug-17 23:41:00
Print Post

Not possible and connecting via WAN will also not work.

Surely it will just teach the kids how to spoof their mac, or find a technical work around...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Aug-17 08:19:47
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Not sure that would work, the HH5 WAN port is usually expecting to do a PPPoE connection not a basic DHCP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Aug-17 08:24:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You can do it if the router you connect the HH5 WAN port to has a pppoed daemon, like pfsense does. But not the SkyQ router.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Aug-17 13:28:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I appear to be able to configure the wan interface of my Zyxwl VMG8924-B10A to use IPoE. So in that respect I would have thought it would achieve what the OP wants. You can have up to 4 wifi networks with MAC address restructions, but I don't see anywhere to enter a time restriction, other than switching off all the Wifi. The router was bought 2nd hand on ebay.

There might well be a more suitable router.

Michael Chare
Standard User JoCar0411
(newbie) Thu 24-Aug-17 15:42:13
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Ok cheers for that smile
So can I use the HH5 as the router for my Sky connection? If so I can just use the Access Control as I did before laugh
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Aug-17 17:11:58
Print Post

Nope
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Aug-17 17:29:42
Print Post

I was suggesting that there may be routers which would do what you want the HH5 to do.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:14:24
Print Post

Nope, the other poster was trying to suggest you try using some different hardware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to