Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Sep-17 22:45:24
Print Post

Wifi Speed test, why so much slower?

[link to this post]

My desktop computer has a wired connection to a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A router which has another wired connection to my main Gigaclear connection. This is a Desktop speedtest result. Perhaps a bit faster than I sometimes get.

The Zyxel also has Wifi 'ac' with a max speed of 1300 Mbps. My HP laptop is 2-3 metres from this and Windows 10 shows a connection speed of 866 Mpbs. This is the Laptop Wifi speed test result. The latop has an Intel i7 processor running at 2.5 GHz

I was hoping that the laptop speed would be a bit better but apparently not. Any comments as to why this might be? There are no competing Wifi networks.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Sep-17 09:15:16
Print Post

Re: Wifi Speed test, why so much slower?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Because the 866 Mbps is the wireless connection speed before any protocol overheads and error correction are applied...

So best case scenario would be around half that, i.e. 400 Mbps and if the 1300 is achieved using MIMO and your device has only one antenna it would be half that again. On the laptop it is less about the processor and more about the Wi-Fi network card and the antenna it has.

In short, fastest we ever see in a month for confirmed Wi-Fi is 300 to 350 Mbps

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Sep-17 10:34:09
Print Post

In addition to Andrew's response, most WiFi monitoring tools such as Acrylic etc, only identify any working WiFi circuits in your area.

But the 2.4 GHz band is shared with many other, UNLICENSED devices such as microwave cookers, baby alarms, model aircraft controllers etc, for which a Spectrum Analyser is required to detect the whole gamut of devices may be throwing out what appears to be general "Noise" to other systems, with which your lonely WiFi circuit has to compete.

While some of those other systems may only be working for brief periods, such as the microwave cookers, others may be (almost) continuously such as baby alarms.

Whilst you mention the laptop's processor, the WiFi Transmitter/Receiver is a separate unit within the laptop, with different processing powers etc, as is the corresponding WiFi Receiver/Transmitter within the Router.

The laptop's WiFi Tx/Rx is also probably a lot "slower" than the Router's.

So there is a lot of extra processing when using the WiFi connections.

To get a better idea of those extra processing effects, try connecting and using an Ethernet cable connection from the Laptop to the Router, which will then give a much clearer idea of the "Overheads" involved when using WiFi.

---------

This Wikipedia article gives a lot more detail of the general use of the 2.4 GHz Band -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

Edited by eckiedoo (Tue 26-Sep-17 11:27:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Sep-17 15:23:17
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The test was done using 5GHz. The laptop does not have an ethernet RJ45 socket possibly because the laptop is to thin. The HDMI socket is about as deep as can be accommodated. This evening I will try having the laptop very close to the router to see what difference if any that makes. Maybe I should ask HP what performance I should expect.

Michael Chare
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 26-Sep-17 15:25:09
Print Post

What is the HP model?
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Sep-17 19:15:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It is an HP ENVY Notebook - 13-d004na, now about 18 months old.

The wireless connectivity is described as "802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible)"

Michael Chare
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Sep-17 00:45:38
Print Post

I get about 100mbps on my Wifi LAN using an Asus DSL-N55U with N600 connectivity. I was thinking of upgrading to ac speeds but it doesn't seem worth it by your results. My SSD is only capable of 210mbps so I would likely see very little improvement on ac.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79050/19661

BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Sep-17 11:33:45
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I did some more rests. I found that putting the laptop next to the router did not improve the speed.

I have a Gigabit connected Synology NAS. My desktop PC can pull data from this at 111MBps according to Windows 10. The laptop could only manage 36MBps. (both via Zyxel Router)

If I just use 2.4GHz on the VMG8924-B10A the laptop can transfer data from my NAS at abou 16MBps

If I revert back to the Netgear DGN2200 which also only does 100Mbps Ethernet the transfer speed drops to about 7MBps. The Netgear was suppied free by Plusnet when my DSL connection speed was about 1.5Mbps. The Zyxel was bought on ebay about a week ago for £22.90 inc P&P.

Michael Chare
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Sep-17 16:57:10
Print Post

Michael

Unfortunately at some parts you state "Mbps"; and at others "MBps"

This confuses the issue, keeping in mind that typically there are about 8 bits to a BYTE.

My suspicion is that all of the units in your posting should be "Mbps", otherwise it does not make sense.

Its unfortunate that the same Alpha letters are use - but here "UPPER CASE" makes an 8 times difference compared to "lower case", so important.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Sep-17 17:19:38
Print Post

The post is correct B = Byte b=bit. If you think it does not make sense, please explain.

Michael Chare
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Sep-17 18:17:45
Print Post

My general experience is that when speeds of Broadband are being discussed, it is normal practice to stick to the one measure of Mbps, particularly as others have posted messages where the measures have been used wrongly.

Thank you for clarifying that you were using them correctly, the only clue being "data".
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Sep-17 22:50:05
Print Post

Possibly wrongly I just used the units the speeds are reported in. W10 happens to use MBps for the transfers I was attempting.

W10 shows the connection speed as 866Mbps which accords with the laptops Wifi spec of (2x2). An Intel document suggests that I should be able to obtain a net data transfer rate of half that i.e. 433Mbps. Infact all I could get was 36MBps or 288Mbps. which is just a third of the connection speed.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Sep-17 23:23:47
Print Post

The 433 is the figure to pay attention too, so really at best you got 288 out of 433.

In short Wi-Fi speeds on boxes are over egged by a big margin, the wireless may run at those speeds but by the time all the protocol/signalling overheads are taken into account you get the drop from 866 to 433

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Sep-17 06:29:41
Print Post

My vague understanding of that "2x2" speed is that it also is an absolute Maximum, highly dependent on other impinging aspects.

As you have apparently minimised external ones by having the laptop very close to the router, that suggests that the slow speed is either due to the physics of the various other circuits, ie the two WiFi Rx/TXs, the comms links within the router and the laptop to the other processing units - or possibly the structure of the files used in your tests.

Could the disk writing speeds be having an effect, possibly with small buffer sizes?

I am not really "au fait" with such aspects; and it would be interesting if others with greater knowledge or also with similar/comparable gear to yours, would comment on their experiences.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Sep-17 18:05:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Could the disk writing speeds be having an effect, possibly with small buffer sizes?

The laptop has an SSD, I presume that it is an M2 type. Copying a file from one partition to another, the speed starts quite fast then slows to 80MBbps or so. The write speed of the SSD could be a contributory factor.! I don't have any other 802.11ac equipment to compare.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Sep-17 18:16:58
Print Post

80MB/sec is 640 Mbps (Mega bits per second) so don't see how that is slowing you down...

In short going fast on Wi-Fi is not easy unless all kit uses standards and supports all the speed options e.g. MIMO etc

One issue with some Wi-Fi on laptops/PC can be they rely on a USB interface, rather than faster buses (this can even apply for internal devices)

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Sep-17 23:45:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
80MB/sec is 640 Mbps (Mega bits per second) so don't see how that is slowing you down...
It may depend on to what extent the Windows copy is a read then write operation. If you copy a large file between two partitions the copy appears to run quickly to start with as some buffer is built up and then slows down as the buffer has to be cleared before the next block is read. What I really need is a program that will read data from my NAS and then tell me the speed it is coming without bothering to do anything with the data.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to