Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 04-Oct-17 22:25:44
Print Post

Opinions sought on this switch

[link to this post]

I'm considering buying this Linksys LGS318 Business 16 Port Gigabit Smart Managed Network Switch for my newly expanded home gigabit network to replace the current 5 port Netgear GS108 switch which won't have enough capacity for the number of network devices that will be connected via wired ethernet. I may or may not need POE in future, but is that something that can be added if required via some sort of adaptor?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Oct-17 23:47:56
Print Post

Re: Opinions sought on this switch

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

I have the 100Mbps 16 port unmanaged version of these Zyxel ones. It just connects to mains, no separate PSU. It is quite small and for a while it lived under my ADSL router.

I bought it some time ago. I now wish I had bought the 1Gbps version but at the time I did not have anything that ran at 1Gbps and my ADSL broadband connection was good for maybe 1.2Mbps. I would only buy a managed switch if it did not cost much more.

If you want PoE perhaps for a camera you can just add another PoE switch. There are various options.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Wed 04-Oct-17 23:52:09)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Oct-17 08:11:36
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

you can just add another PoE switch

Or just put a cheap PoE injector at the switch end to add power to the cable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:13:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
you can just add another PoE switch

Or just put a cheap PoE injector at the switch end to add power to the cable.
I guess if I'm attaching a number of cameras then I'd get a POE switch to service those cameras and connect it to the existing switch, otherwise, as you suggest, I'd just use a single injector for a single camera/whatever.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:17:04
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I bought it some time ago. I now wish I had bought the 1Gbps version but at the time I did not have anything that ran at 1Gbps and my ADSL broadband connection was good for maybe 1.2Mbps. I would only buy a managed switch if it did not cost much more.

My main reason for wanting a managed switch is for traffic prioritisation and VLAN functionality, though having said that, I've been happily using a 5 port Netgear desktop gigabit switch that I bought more than 10 years ago.
  Print Thread

Jump to