Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Oct-17 18:30:02
Print Post

Netgear Nighthawk X10 'router'

[link to this post]

Anyone know of a firmware for this thing that will allow it to actually route? smile
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Sun 22-Oct-17 11:18:26
Print Post

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X10 'router'

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Hi Ignitionnet

I have the D700 Nighthawk,I am a bit slow what are you asking ?

Blueboy

BlueBoy was here heheh
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Oct-17 11:48:08
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Anyone know of a firmware for this thing that will allow it to actually route? smile

On stock firmware the X10 does route with NAT switched on - majority of router users have no need to switch off NAT. I have it setup in PPPoE router mode with NAT switched on and it does what it says on the tin; it routes traffic from the WAN port to all wireless & wired clients without any fuss. If it wasn't able to route, I'm pretty sure Tim from SNB (the 'guru' of routers) would have flagged up this in his in-depth review of the X10:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-re...

However, I appreciate not every user is the same so if you really want advanced functionality on this (where possibly you can switch off NAT 100%) installing DD-WRT will be your best bet. Use Kong's version rather than Brainslayer's one, it will be more stable:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K4-AC-ALPINE/

If you're still not able to use it to your liking then post on the X10 thread on the DD-WRT forum where one of the geeks (or Kong himself) will be able to advise you further

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=305025&...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 22-Oct-17 11:48:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Oct-17 13:14:48
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thank you.

On the subject of the needs of the majority of users the majority of users aren't going to purchase this beast given its hardware specifications and pricing. A routed mode isn't an advanced feature, it's something available out of the tin from Linksys, Asus and TP-Link so seems an anomaly Netgear don't have it.

I shall try and push the feature request I have with them.

Again thanks muchly for the DD-WRT link, I know this will support operation without NAT.

Not sure if you work in the field but the frustration is borne from how simple this would be to implement. The default behaviour of any Linux-based kit is not to NAT. They literally have to add the option in the GUI, fix any dependencies that shouldn't exist anyway, then just not turn on masquerade.
  Print Thread

Jump to