Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Tue 24-Oct-17 15:24:26
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG633 - TalkTalk Router

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I use port forwarding and translation to access web sites on my local lan. The web sites on my lan have fixed IP addresses, and I set my router to translate from some 5 digit port number to port 80. All the domestic routers I have seen will do this.

Hi,

Yes, in the router I have given every connected device a name that reflects its operation, my smartphone, samknows router, downstairs_PC, Upstairs_PC etc, saves memorising IP addresses. That way I can simply select the right device from a drop down menu. I setup portforwarding using this method.

I have also setup a static IP for the device thats acts as a static webserver.

The only thing I can think of, is the router is somehow hardwired to prevent incoming port requests. I have read this is very common with 'domestic' plans. Quite what they gain from it, defies my logic.

Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet many cannot afford. AWM 2003
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Oct-17 16:49:26
Print Post

[re: AWM_Mars] [link to this post]

It is this simple....

If the remote management is turned on and listening then incoming port 80 traffic will hit that and not get port forwarded, turning off remote management is the usual fix, but if ever fault finding with TalkTalk support you might find they want it turned back on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Tue 24-Oct-17 16:57:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Then it is time to shed the fat controller and seek out another ISP and router that does what I want, what I pay for. smile

Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet many cannot afford. AWM 2003

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Oct-17 19:41:10
Print Post

I use port translation. When my router sees a request for port 54321 it knows to send it to a particular ip address on my home network and port 80. I have never seen a domestic router that can not do this.

If my public DNS name is me.xyz.com and my web server has an address of 192.168.1.123 then

http://me.xyz.com:54321 goes to http://192.168.1.123:80

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Oct-17 00:33:41
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In terms of port translation there are some that cannot, but don't recall models.

In this posters case, they've been shown how to turn off remote management that will then allow the port forwarding to work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Oct-17 01:18:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To confirm and put your mind at rest, remote management is not enabled by default.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 25-Oct-17 01:19:08)

Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Wed 25-Oct-17 09:52:15
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
To confirm and put your mind at rest, remote management is not enabled by default.

Strange you say that, but as I have said, I didn't even relate that portion of the menu system, except to reboot the router or do ping tests. TalkTalk support have several times installed firmware updates on my router and even checked settings, clearly this is a default that was set before shipment to allow them to do this.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Oct-17 10:03:37
Print Post

They donít enable the router interface over port 80 by default. Just no.

They can remotely update your router and this is done over TR069.

This is known as enhanced remote management and is different to having the router interface open over port 80.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 25-Oct-17 10:04:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to