Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Nov-17 00:05:37
Print Post

Netgear GS108Ev3 defaulting to APIPA address - Help Please

[link to this post]

Recently I've added a Netgear Managed switch to my PlusNet HomeHub Modem, but unfortunately whilst the setup works it requires resetting at least every day.

It connects quite happily via cat6 20metres of cable at 1Gbps, but when it needs resetting, the Netgear Prosafe Utility indicates that it has changed to one of the Microsoft APIPA address range and cannot be reset from this utility either.
Some of the Netgear Info says "169.254.x.x is indicative of a DHCP failure". I have tried this managed switch in both DHCP on or off and the PlusNet Router is DHCP enabled.

I haven't been able to work out what's causing this issue and it is an area that I'm not that well clued up in.
I wondered whether it would be better to get an unmanaged switch or could I find the same issues?
I wanted to try a managed switch so that i could see just how much data certain devices were taking eg NowTV and Amazon Video..

When the setup is working there doesn't appear to be any issues and when I've think I've altered something and it's been stable it only goes to prove me wrong!

WiFi on 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz is still on mainly for Mobile phones/tablets etc. The switch caters for the 1xPC, 1xLaptop (both at 1Gbps) and 1xDVD Player and 1XTV (Both at 100Mbps)

I appeciate any ideas - many thanks.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 16-Nov-17 05:51:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Nov-17 14:58:43
Print Post

Re: Netgear GS108Ev3 defaulting to APIPA address - Help Plea

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

For fixed infrastructure like a switch much better to use a static local IP outside your DHCP range

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Nov-17 07:29:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
For fixed infrastructure like a switch much better to use a static local IP outside your DHCP range

Do you mean, assign the devices static IP addresses rather than using DHCP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Nov-17 09:39:32
Print Post

It would make sense to assign the switch itself a static IP address. The address should be outside the range of any DHCP server that you have. The devices which are connected by the switch can use DHCP.

Michael Chare
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Nov-17 19:39:57
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
It would make sense to assign the switch itself a static IP address. The address should be outside the range of any DHCP server that you have. The devices which are connected by the switch can use DHCP.

So I'm assuming i assign a static IP address for the switch via the router settings intead of allowing the switch to use DHCP?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Nov-17 19:51:44
Print Post

No, in the configuration of the switch itself you are setting its IP address, gateway etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Nov-17 20:48:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
No, in the configuration of the switch itself you are setting its IP address, gateway etc

I have tried that with different static IP addresses and the issue remains.

So for instance the PlusNet router is at 192.168.1.254
and the switch I have tried between 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.252

For instance it's been ok for 36 hours now and its IP is 192.168.1.82.

If I try anything like the default IP address of the switch to be of a different range, which is apparently it's default when not initially connected to a system of 192.168.0.239 I get messages that I'm not on the same subnet.
However I've included the switch after the system has been powered on and from what I've read it's new IP that I've picked is still ok?

I think what hasn't helped too is that it's intermittent. If it just didn't work I think it would be easier for me to see what was wrong.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Nov-17 00:18:51
Print Post

You need to set the switch to a fixed IP address which is outside the DHCP range of the router.

For example if the router IP address is 192.168.1.254 you could set the DHCP range to run from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99. You could then set the switch to have an address of 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS server to 192.168.1.254

Michael Chare
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Nov-17 00:43:50
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks Michael, i'll give that a try.

I've just noted that there are two selectable ranges on the Plusnet router and the one ie the default one that I've been using is:- 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 (Default)

However i have tried fixed addresses on the switch of lower than 192.168.1.64 with the problem still happening. But I'll definetly do what you've suggested and see what happens smile

Ive tried those settings and everything works as before, however I just lost internet connection but this time the switch and laptop link remained without getting the yellow icon on the ethernet taskbar icon as before. I reset the switch and its working again?
In fact I'm having to reboot the Switch every 10 minutes now as Internet connectivity is lost, but the great thing is i don't have to reset the switches power or reset it using a pin, the Netgear Software Utility still works unlike before when problem occurred and I can use that to reset.

Edited by Vorlon (Sat 18-Nov-17 01:48:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Nov-17 09:23:21
Print Post

Something is not right, managed switches should run for years once configured, so either you've messed something up or its broke.

Recommendation - send it back and just use an unmanaged switch. Unless you fancy a day spent figuring it out

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to