Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 15:07:10
Print Post

Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

[link to this post]

My son's house has very thick stone walls and he is struggling with his wi-fi in one of his rooms.
He uses his phone and a bluetooth speaker in this room and the signal is a problem.
He has some TP Link powerline units and I have a couple of spare routers, a Netgear DG834G v2, and a Technicolor TG582n..
If he connects the primary router, a Sagemcom 2704N to a powerline plug could he connect the extra router to a another powerline plug in the problem room and use it to extend his wifi range?
He's tried a wireless repeater but had the usual problem of things failing to connect to the network.
He has fibre broadband with Plusnet.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Dec-17 16:58:02
Print Post

Re: Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

[re: anotherbob] [link to this post]

The Powerline plugs may work but it id not a certainty. A wired ethernet connection would be better but no doubt more awkward to install.

Michael Chare
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 17:40:06
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The second router, should work fine. Let us know how you get on smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Dec-17 18:10:53
Print Post

He's tried a wireless repeater but had the usual problem of things failing to connect to the network.
That is not a usual problem with a wireless repeater, just so you know! I personally find powerline sucks, but it will work. My powerline has always dropped often, the only ones that worked of for me were the Devolo ones.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Dec-17 20:59:28
Print Post

If the extra router is configured to not be a router but a wireless access point then this can work

The theory using different kit is walked through at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 21:58:37
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
That is not a usual problem with a wireless repeater, just so you know!

If you search for "Huawei ws320 problems" you will find a few, we certainly did.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Dec-17 22:02:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by anotherbob:
If you search for "Huawei ws320 problems" you will find a few, we certainly did.
But you don't have a Huawei ws320 confused
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:58:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Repeaters are generally ok, but they can zap the speed out of your wifi, and then you also need to be mindful of where they are placed. The same repeater can probably be used off a powerline adapter with a ethernet cable, and then configured as a access point, in the same sort of manner as a second router. This will provide faster wifi speeds, and a powerline and connected wifi access point can be freely moved for best location set up...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Dec-17 02:32:40
Print Post

Had and used one of these they are horrendous.

We can offer you a bunch of decent ones. Namely get a Netgear AC wireless repeater, they stay connected months on end. I had one with over 6 months uptime.

Placement is key, it needs to be in a good signal area which also reaches the not-spot area. It usually makes sense to place them halfway between the no signal area and original router.

I think I had this, was over a year ago now so might have been a different model:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GV504BC/ref=cm_sw_r_c...

I manually set mine up to be one unified SSID - out the box it adds _EXT5g on the end of the SSID

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 10-Dec-17 02:34:10)

Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 11:11:14
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Having looked at lots of advice on how to configure a spare router to do the job I need I'm not sure I have the necessary expertise. Looking at alternatives I saw this
I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on whether I could solve the problem by connecting one of these to a Powerline plug in the area where the signal is weak.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to