Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 15:07:10
Print Post

Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

[link to this post]

My son's house has very thick stone walls and he is struggling with his wi-fi in one of his rooms.
He uses his phone and a bluetooth speaker in this room and the signal is a problem.
He has some TP Link powerline units and I have a couple of spare routers, a Netgear DG834G v2, and a Technicolor TG582n..
If he connects the primary router, a Sagemcom 2704N to a powerline plug could he connect the extra router to a another powerline plug in the problem room and use it to extend his wifi range?
He's tried a wireless repeater but had the usual problem of things failing to connect to the network.
He has fibre broadband with Plusnet.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Dec-17 16:58:02
Print Post

Re: Use a 2nd. router as a wifi extender

[re: anotherbob] [link to this post]

The Powerline plugs may work but it id not a certainty. A wired ethernet connection would be better but no doubt more awkward to install.

Michael Chare
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 17:40:06
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The second router, should work fine. Let us know how you get on smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Dec-17 18:10:53
Print Post

He's tried a wireless repeater but had the usual problem of things failing to connect to the network.
That is not a usual problem with a wireless repeater, just so you know! I personally find powerline sucks, but it will work. My powerline has always dropped often, the only ones that worked of for me were the Devolo ones.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Dec-17 20:59:28
Print Post

If the extra router is configured to not be a router but a wireless access point then this can work

The theory using different kit is walked through at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 21:58:37
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
That is not a usual problem with a wireless repeater, just so you know!

If you search for "Huawei ws320 problems" you will find a few, we certainly did.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Dec-17 22:02:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by anotherbob:
If you search for "Huawei ws320 problems" you will find a few, we certainly did.
But you don't have a Huawei ws320 confused
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:58:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Repeaters are generally ok, but they can zap the speed out of your wifi, and then you also need to be mindful of where they are placed. The same repeater can probably be used off a powerline adapter with a ethernet cable, and then configured as a access point, in the same sort of manner as a second router. This will provide faster wifi speeds, and a powerline and connected wifi access point can be freely moved for best location set up...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Dec-17 02:32:40
Print Post

Had and used one of these they are horrendous.

We can offer you a bunch of decent ones. Namely get a Netgear AC wireless repeater, they stay connected months on end. I had one with over 6 months uptime.

Placement is key, it needs to be in a good signal area which also reaches the not-spot area. It usually makes sense to place them halfway between the no signal area and original router.

I think I had this, was over a year ago now so might have been a different model:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GV504BC/ref=cm_sw_r_c...

I manually set mine up to be one unified SSID - out the box it adds _EXT5g on the end of the SSID

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 10-Dec-17 02:34:10)

Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 11:11:14
Print Post

Having looked at lots of advice on how to configure a spare router to do the job I need I'm not sure I have the necessary expertise. Looking at alternatives I saw this
I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on whether I could solve the problem by connecting one of these to a Powerline plug in the area where the signal is weak.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Dec-17 11:28:19
Print Post

Wireless is only 300Mbps which is poor Iíd be looking for 1200 wireless AC or better in this day and age. Donít spend money on old technology.

we can assist getting you going itís not difficult - where are you getting stuck?
Standard User anotherbob
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 11:46:18
Print Post

Thanks for your response.
I found a cheapie on Ebay which I'm going to try.
If it's not up to the job I'll have to think again.
The biggest job it will have is live streaming SD TV to a 14" Laptop occasionally.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Dec-17 11:48:21
Print Post

Wireless access points are not as cheap as they may have been in the past, but the Asus routers usually all have the choice of router mode or access point mode in their web interface so

ASUS RT-AC51U which starts at £39 gives an idea of price if you want to cost up the manual route versus out of the box route

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015009/ where Asus has the software switch in its web interface

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 17:52:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

From what I can gather you have powerline adapters, and two spare routers. Configuring the routers to work in your existing setup isn't rocket science, and their signal strength may well out perform any access points you may buy too, plus they have four ethernet ports...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Dec-17 18:25:25
Print Post

[re: dwg1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dwg1:
From what I can gather you have powerline adapters, and two spare routers. Configuring the routers to work in your existing setup isn't rocket science, and their signal strength may well out perform any access points you may buy too, plus they have four ethernet ports...
Lets be honest the DG834 was released in the early 2000s and is not a router fit for modern day usage e.g. heavy 4K netflix streaming etc, lots of students etc. The Sagemcom 2704N is one of the worst rated ISP supplied routers.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusn...

On Fibre broadband, you want wireless AC devices, or at least dual band devices, you most definitely do not want wireless G from 10+ years ago.

If the poster installs a DG834 it will become the bottleneck of the network, with anything connected to it getting speeds much slower than the Fibre broadband is capable of.
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 22:32:28
Print Post

Yes that does sound like old technology, but if it's only for the purpose of connecting a phone to, it should be up to the job smile
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Dec-17 01:09:18
Print Post

[re: dwg1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dwg1:
Yes that does sound like old technology, but if it's only for the purpose of connecting a phone to, it should be up to the job smile
Depends where you are, I'm in London with 20+ 2.4Ghz SSIDs. If I connect to the 2.4Ghz network all my iPhones will switch over to 4G data due to WiFi Assist, as the 2.4Ghz loads data so slowly. If you disable WiFi Assist, you struggle to even browse to a web-page (well it takes upwards of 30 seconds). I confirm this behaviour at 3 properties in London (as I've moved), all equally dense in local 2.4Ghz networks, on virginmedia, BT and Sky.

Here is a video of how 2.4Ghz performs in my home in London for most of the evening:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e7Xm3Na9US_gtCIyLaB...

In London you often have 4 flats on-top of one another, and then 4 either side, and across the road the same thing.

As we keep adding in a bunch of 2.4ghz gear (e.g. bluetooth earphones for iphones 7s and 8s), wireless doorbells, baby monitors, cordless phones, microwaves, wifi APs, bluetooth speakers, bluetooth keyboards and mice etc, the spectrum is becoming very undesirable, even for casual browsing.

My advice stands, install 5Ghz APs in this day and age, and certainly where you add APs ensure you are aligning standards, roaming between an AC device on 5Ghz down to a 2.4Ghz device at wireless G 54Mbps is not nice. When I used to work with Aruba Networking it was a huge no-no to roll out in this way.
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Thu 04-Jan-18 12:48:15
Print Post

You can but I would advise strongly against it. The reason is that you won't get 802.11k support which is the ability to roam between WiFi access points. So while it "works" if you move the WiFi connected device around the home it all goes to $h!t very quickly. Basically when originally designed WiFi did not support roaming between access points. There have been some hacks to make it work on enterprise level kit (read expensive) in the past, but only comparatively recently has a proper standard been ratified.

Fortunately 802.11k consumer grade kit is not making into the market place. So your best bet is to disable the WiFi in your router completely and fit something like a BT Whole Home Wi-Fi system which is 802.11k capable. You can get two access points on Amazon for £90 at the moment and you can add more as required to get complete coverage. You could them back to the main router using powerline, but I would encourage anyone to move heaven and earth to run some Cat5e or better still Cat6 between the two.

Note that the BT Whole Home system also supports band steering so any 5GHz capable devices are moved to 5GHz by the system automatically leaving the heavily congested 2.4GHz bands to devices only capable of 2.4GHz.

All that said something like a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR access point centrally located may well do the trick depending on the size of the house. It did for me and my house has bricks that genuinely have large amounts of magnetic material in them, and all the internal walls are brick (or breeze block with a similar issue). Makes any sort of radio based reception inside the house very difficult. However to make that work you are likely going to need to ceiling mount the access point somewhere. Basically your router location is rarely the optimal WiFi access point location, and your optimal router location is almost never the optimal WiFi access point location.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to