Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobrey
(newbie) Fri 29-Dec-17 15:04:12
Print Post

BT Smart Hub & Third party router/modem

[link to this post]

"Santa" brought me an new TP Link Archer D2 to use as replacement for current BT Smart Hub mainly as media server via its USB port. Sadly this modem /router is ADSL2 and not VDSL for my BT Infinity connection.
The Amazon description indicated that the new router would work with BT VDSL if I could switch the Home Hub to modem only mode but unfortunately this seems impossible in the Smart Hub.
Thinking a quick fix would be simply to replace the BT Smart Hub with an old style Openreach VDSL modem and then connect this to the new TP-Link D2 but again this is proving difficult.
When I connect the Openreach BT modem it does synchronize with the broadband connection ( steady indicator light) but when I connect my PC(Win 10) via the single Lan port on the Openreach modem ( NGA ECI-CPE-Modems Type 1B) I cannot access the internet.
Suspect that I need to access the Openreach modem to check settings but am unable to find IP address to type into my browser to see settings etc.
Can anyone please help me untangle this problem? Preferably without buying yet more kit.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Dec-17 15:19:19
Print Post

Re: BT Smart Hub & Third party router/modem

[re: bobrey] [link to this post]

You would need to create a PPPoE connection on the PC in order to setup the connection through the modem - the PC will not do this automatically. Try having a look at this
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Dec-17 17:05:12
Print Post

The TP Link should support a PPPoE connection over its WAN connection.

Unlocking the ECI modems was a cause of a small hardware mod, so most never bothered, but this is not needed to use the modem in the bridge mode.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Dec-17 03:51:54
Print Post

The modem is not designed to go straight into a PC, it typically goes via another router e.g. a Sky Hub, a TalKTalk Router, a BT Hub etc. You can set it up via PPOE, but anyway, link in your TP Link via the WAN port and set up the connection. Should be good to go relatively quickly.

The only comment I have to make is the TP Link Archer D2 is AC750 (750Mbps), the BT SmartHub is AC2600 (2600Mbps) - so the SmartHub has not even just marginal better WiFi, but crazy better WiFi. You are replacing it with a worse device for WiFi.

As far as TP Links go, this has similar WiFi spec to the SmartHub (AC2600):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Arc...

The point is, the SmartHub is a pretty good router, and if you are going to replace it I would always recommend not choosing a worse spec device, plenty of great devices out there which are more reliable and solid etc, but they are £150+. I personally feel what you are doing is somewhat counter productive. Yes, you gain the media server, but you severely downgrade the WiFi spec.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 30-Dec-17 10:15:55)

Print Thread

Jump to