Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mangocrazy
(newbie) Fri 05-Jan-18 15:28:46
Print Post

VDSL Modem Router to replace Zyxel VMG 1312-B10A

[link to this post]

Hi all, first post here and jumping into the deep end...

I currently use Origin Broadband's VDSL/FTTC broadband offering and their supplied Zyxel VMG 1312-B10A VDSL2 Wireless Modem Router. This has worked without any obvious problems for a year or so, but it only has 100Mb Fast Ethernet LAN ports and I'm planning to connect a NAS server to the LAN very soon.

The NAS server has twin Gig Ethernet ports and the Zyxel router won't allow me to take advantage of the extra bandwidth, so I'm looking for a VDSL2 Wireless modem router with Gigabit Ethernet ports. For the icing on the cake, I also want the router to support Jumbo frames as that will also improve network throughput greatly.

I've tried trawling through spec sheets and Jumbo frame support is very rarely mentioned. Can anyone recommend a router that ticks all these boxes?

VDSL2 Modem incorporated
Dual-Band wireless
Gigabit Ethernet ports (at least 4)
Jumbo frame support
Not prohibitively expensive

I've used Billion Bipac modem/routers in the past and was very impressed with the 7800N, but I'm happy to buy any make as long as it's reliable and relatively error-free.

All suggestions very welcom.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 21:11:51
Print Post

Re: VDSL Modem Router to replace Zyxel VMG 1312-B10A

[re: mangocrazy] [link to this post]

I use a 2nd hand VMG8924-B10A bought on ebay. There is a 5th 1000Mpbs ethernet port which I use for my local lan. The maximum DSL mtu size is 1492.

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 21:28:03
Print Post

[re: mangocrazy] [link to this post]

If you don't mind splashing out, then a Billion 8900AX is an excellent choice otherwise a TP Link VR900 v2 is your best bet at a decent price. If wifi coverage is important then stay away from Zyxel models as wifi on them is nothing special.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 05-Jan-18 21:28:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 22:50:36
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Are the TP-Link and Billion routers likely to provide better coverage than a Zyxel VMG8924?

With the Billion 8900AXs, how much advantage is there in going for the more expensive 2400 model over the 1600 for the average household?

I'm contemplating replacing our 8924, but wondering whether a modem plus Netgear Orbi might be a better option in terms of WiFi coverage in our long thin house.

Edited by jaydub (Fri 05-Jan-18 22:50:57)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 23:10:53
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Are the TP-Link and Billion routers likely to provide better coverage than a Zyxel VMG8924?

With the Billion 8900AXs, how much advantage is there in going for the more expensive 2400 model over the 1600 for the average household?

I'm contemplating replacing our 8924, but wondering whether a modem plus Netgear Orbi might be a better option in terms of WiFi coverage in our long thin house.

Yep, the Billion 8900AX is a 4 stream MuMimo router whilst the Zyxel models are typically 2 or 3 stream so the 8900AX will blow the pants off the Zyxels wrt wifi coverage. For someone who doesn't want to spend a lot and is a light wifi user then something like the Billion 8800NL will do the job but if wifi coverage is important and you stream a lot using wifi then investing in quality router such as the Billion 8900AX, or the high end TP Link VR2800 is well worth it if you can afford it.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User mangocrazy
(newbie) Sat 06-Jan-18 14:07:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I've realised (belatedly) that I'm over-complicating this. The smart way to do it is to buy an 8-port managed switch that supports Jumbo frames and plug all the wired stuff into that, and only use a single port off the router as an uplink to the switch. The uplink can be Fast Ethernet (100Mb), as the internet traffic can never saturate that connection anyway (ours is around 20 Mbps), and all the wired devices can communicate with each other via the Gigabit Ethernet switch.

So I don't need to worry about Jumbo frame support on the router, and can just concentrate on getting one that suits my needs for wifi performance and VDSL2 capability. I'll investigate all the options that folk have supggested - cheers!
  Print Thread

Jump to