Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User radiodan
(newbie) Wed 10-Jan-18 02:34:58
Print Post

Access single IP on different LAN

[link to this post]

I have a Draytek 2860 router with multiple VLAN segments to separate various aspects of traffic (main LAN, guest access, VIOP etc).

I can activate "inter VLAN" routing to enable access to all network items on another LAN. However, in my case I just want to access one network address (a network printer on the main LAN from the guest LAN). How do I go about doing this? Setting up a "static route"? Have not had much luck so far!

Thanks for any help.

Dan
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jan-18 07:32:11
Print Post

Re: Access single IP on different LAN

[re: radiodan] [link to this post]

You do need to set up inter VLAN routing and then set up a firewall filter.

You do this with two firewall filter rules. The first one is deny all traffic from the source VLAN all to all on the destination VLAN unless matched by a subsequent rule (this is one of the filter rule action options) and the second (the subsequent rule) allows access to just the printer. You can narrow this down to a particualr port/protocol combination or allow all traffic to the printer as you wish.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Wed 10-Jan-18 07:33:39)

Standard User radiodan
(newbie) Thu 11-Jan-18 06:45:42
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

That all makes complete sense - thanks very much for your help. I clearly had a brain fart the other day! wink

Dan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Jan-18 21:17:29
Print Post

[re: radiodan] [link to this post]

If I'm making sense it's a clear indication that the blood levels in my caffeinestream haven't got too high wink

I hope it sorts things out for you. It should do as I've used the exact same method for filtering multiple services to specific hosts between VLANs on several sites.

Let me know how you get on.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to