Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Fri 12-Jan-18 14:07:15
Print Post

Whitelisting Apps, Fritzbox, Internet Safety

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm on Zen Fibre and use their supplied router the Fritzbox 3490. I moved to Zen from Sky. Sky had a good system in place for family protection where you could set age levels and it did a reasonable job of things. Now I'm with Zen though, they don't offer this service.

The advised that its easy to set this router up to lock things down per device and it seems to be, trouble is, I've got things so locked down it is almost unusable for my children. I'm a little out my depth and hope somebody can offer assistance.

I've pretty much the router blocking everything except whitelisted websites. This works OK (except images on the sites don't display all the time).

When my daughter wants to use apps on the iPad though. they are blocked.

Is there a way I can unblock these apps in the router coinfig somewhere, or how am I best to deal with this. I'm scared of what the 'net can offer by accident hence my trying to lock things down.

I hope that some of you kind and knowledgeable folks can offer me help and guidance on how to try and make the internet safe and also usable...

Thanks everybody for any and all help
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 04-Mar-18 20:27:21
Print Post

Re: Whitelisting Apps, Fritzbox, Internet Safety

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

Rather than using your router for content control and blocking, why not just use a filtering DNS service like OpenDNS? It's free for home use and is fairly easy to use and control. All you'd need to do is sign up to OpenDNS (it's actually called Cisco Umbrella - they bought out OpenDNS a while back) and provide your public IP address (so that OpenDNS knows how to recognise your broadband connection), then specify the two OpenDNS IP addresses in the DNS server address fields in your router's WAN and/or LAN config.
Standard User philjohn
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-18 22:00:25
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

The only problem with that is that it's "on" for everyone (unless they set custom DNS servers in the TCP/IP settings).

Some routers offer the ability to force certain DNS servers based on Mac Address, but not sure the FritzBox is one of them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 04-Mar-18 23:10:15
Print Post

[re: philjohn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philjohn:
Some routers offer the ability to force certain DNS servers based on Mac Address, but not sure the FritzBox is one of them.

It seems DD-WRT supports that but unfortunately Fritzbox routers aren't compatible with DD-WRT.

Maybe another option is to get a separate router for your kids devices and set a separate DNS for that.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 04-Mar-18 23:47:26
Print Post

Also check out DNSMasq - it's included in most routers built on a Linux core.
Standard User firewall
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-18 17:36:37
Print Post

I have a Windows DNS and DHCP server for this very reason. The default DNS is OpenDNS locked down and the wife and I have our devices on static leases using Google DNS. The kids PCs also have K9 installed. This is provided free by BlueCoat and is good.

Firewall

Working in Mordor.
  Print Thread

Jump to