Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sat 13-Jan-18 20:31:01
Print Post

Billion 7800n router - could 110 Mbps be too fast?

[link to this post]

I have run a Billion BiPac 7800n router connected to a Virgin Media Superhub 1 in modem mode since November 2011. The supplied download speeds have increased significantly since then, and I'm now on a 110 Mbps download connection. The SuperHub 1 in modem mode would not give more than 94 Mbps. (All figures from Sam Knows monitoring router stats.)

The SuperHub 1 died, or was killed remotely by a VM techie, and an engineer installed a Hub 3.0, which gives 110 Mbps download in router mode.

I cannot get the 7800n router to connect to the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, and wonder whether I have hit the eWAN limits of the 7800n - OK at 94 Mbps, but swamped at 110 Mbps?

Has anyone any thoughts on this theory?

I will try to get a newer router to see if I can get that to run happily with Hub 3.0 in modem mode...
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Jan-18 20:37:37
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n router - could 110 Mbps be too fast?

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

The ethernet WAN port is only 100Mbps according to Expert Reviews so that would be your bottleneck.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sun 14-Jan-18 13:09:32
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks, Sarah, but I don't see the restriction you mention.

Are you reading "The router support both ADSL and Ethernet WAN connections, so you can use it with almost any internet connection available in the UK. In the default ADSL mode, the EWAN port defaults to being a 5th LAN port, although it's only 10/100Mbit/s, while the other four LAN ports support Gigabit Ethernet" to mean that the eWAN port which I'm using to connect to the Hub 3.0 router is limited to 100 Mbps?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jan-18 13:16:41
Print Post

How do you not see the restriction? The port used is only 100Mbps your internet speed is higher. It needs to be gigabit the port, it is not. The link from the SH3 to the Billion is too slow for the speed you have.

Not to mention the WiFi is poor also, and will struggle delivering the speeds you have.

The SH3 in router mode is a decent router, not a tonne of customisability but it's decent, and it can pull 110Mbps over WiFi no problem, on AC devices e.g. new iphones, ipads etc. Maybe give that a try and see if you have any concerns, if you do look at getting a newer model with AC support (AC1200 or higher) and gigabit WAN.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 14-Jan-18 13:17:33)

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sun 14-Jan-18 15:41:34
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

"In the default ADSL mode, the EWAN port defaults to being a 5th LAN port, although it's only 10/100Mbit/s,"

The 7800n is not in "default ADSL mode" but in eWAN mode.

It's always possible that the eWAN port runs at 1 Gbps speed.
Unlikely, but possible!

I have asked Billion Technical Support this question.
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Sun 14-Jan-18 16:09:55
Print Post

From the same Export Reviews review

"the EWAN port defaults to being a 5th LAN port, although it's only 10/100Mbit/s, while the other four LAN ports support Gigabit Ethernet."

To me, that's clear - the EWAN port is 10/100 and other four ports (ie not the EWAN) are Gigabit.

Unless you configure the EWAN port as an EWAN port it acts at as 5th LAN port at 10/100. I'd not expect the EWAN port to morph into a Gigabit port when being used in EWAN mode.

Bear in mind that the review is from 2010 when Gigabit was quite common but fairly expensive and 100Mb WAN connections unusual. I think Billion saved a few pennies on the EWAN port and it's a 10/100 port irrespective of mode.
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sun 14-Jan-18 16:24:47
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

OK, I follow your reasoning!

But I'm not sure that this is the complete answer.
Why doesn't the Hub 3.0 throttle down its 110 Mbps to the speed which the 7800n eWAN port can support, say a bit less than 100 Mbps?

Could it be that there's a fault with the Hub 3.0?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jan-18 17:19:57
Print Post

Some devices let you configure the speed options for LAN ports, so time to dig around the superhub 3 and see if you can configure the port speed, i.e. it may be set to 1Gbps or nothing and set it to 100 Mbps.

That said the 7800n is really getting on in age now and is only going to be more and more of a bottleneck for you, so time to upgrade

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Sun 14-Jan-18 17:54:01
Print Post

Stating the obvious (!), the Virgin Hub 3 is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and one one 'side' is using DOCSIS protocols and speeds and the other 'side' is using Ethernet protocols and speeds.

As I understand it the DOCSIS protocols allow for a wide range of speeds. Ethernet on the other hand as a smaller number of fixed speeds, notable 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s and 1Gb/s

The modem will contain buffers and part of its job is to deal with the different speeds of the different ports/protocols. It buffers data rather then change the speeds of the two ports.
Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Wed 17-Jan-18 18:42:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
That said the 7800n is really getting on in age now and is only going to be more and more of a bottleneck for you, so time to upgrade

Indeed. I has 7800n on ADSL and then went to FTTC I connected it to the HG612 that was supplied. While this generally worked well single thread download tests speeds were poor while multi-threaded speeds were good.

When I replaced the 7800n with an Ubiquiti ER-X and then a Fritz!Box 3490 the single threaded download speed was greatly improved.
  Print Thread

Jump to