Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User everway9
(newbie) Sun 28-Jan-18 01:31:19
Print Post

Can't change LAN IP address on Sky router.

[link to this post]

Hi everyone. smile

I've posted on the Sky community forum but have had only one rsply so I thought I'd try here too.

A friend has just had Sky fibre installed. I need to change the routers IP address for him so he can connect to a workplace VPN. The default IP address is 192.168.0.1 which is the same address as the router at the workplace so theres a conflict. I logged onto the sky router and changed the lan ip to 192.168.2.1 and clicked 'Apply' and rebooted the router. But when the router boots back up the ip address hasn't changed, its still 192.168.0.1. I've tried numerous times but the router refuses to use anything other than the default address. 

Has anyone else experienced this with Sky routers?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. smile

(I'm not sure of the routers model number but it's the latest Sky router used with Sky fibre. I will be able to find out though if need be)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jan-18 19:46:22
Print Post

Re: Can't change LAN IP address on Sky router.

[re: everway9] [link to this post]

Did you change the DHCP range as well? I have an old BT router which I could not set to use a 10.x.x.x network.

Michael Chare
Standard User everway9
(newbie) Sun 28-Jan-18 20:03:54
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hi Michael.

Thanks for your post. smile

Yeah.. I did change the DHCP range as well. I even tried disabling IPV6 too just to see if it made a difference but no... same result. I"ve had a few routers in my time but none have ever caused problems when changing their IP address. It's very strange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Mon 29-Jan-18 01:05:10
Print Post

We see this alot but your friend's workplace IT made a bad choice of LAN addressing and are leaving it to home workers to remidiate frown
Because it's entirely foreseeable before deploying remote access VPN to know what default address ranges are commonly used by home and SOHO routers and choose something else for the workplace (out of the 172. or 10. private ranges).

I remember setting up VPN for my office 5 years ago and in addition to drawing up a compatibility / performance chart for licence-free platform-agnostic client protocols, this was basically item 1 on IP numbering considerations.

That said, I have changed the IP range for my parents Sky router and it did take (I think it's Technicolor but older as it only does .b/g/n and not dual band / .ac Wi-Fi).

When Technicolor was Thomson they did have template based configs perhaps it might be overriding things. Or do Sky routers get routinely reset if the ISP pushes out f/w updates or configs for IPTV?.

prlzx on iDNET: VDSL / 21CN at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jan-18 08:04:17
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

The SR102 current Sky Fibre device is 802.11n (Sky Q hub is 802.11ac) and is Sagem based.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andy88
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Feb-18 02:34:39
Print Post

The better solution would be for the workplace to move their VPN LAN range away from the most common Home (and public Wifi) ranges.

eg set it to
192.168.200.x not 192.168.1.x
or
172.16.200.x
or
10.200.0.x
so unlikely to clash with the base home ranges.

ANO solution is to ensure that the VPN is point to point/narrow subnet defined on the connection.. that way it tunnels past the local LAN. - Corporate VPN's see this need in hotels with large ranges also and their business users otherwise seeing a clash.

your friend cannot be the only person with this issue.
so getting their IT dept to change might do a lot of people a favour ?
Standard User andy88
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Feb-18 02:59:46
Print Post

I just played with a Sky
Model SR102
Firmware Version 2.91.2110.R

and changed from it's
192.168.1.1 to

It had a DMZ setting, I removed that
It has some address reservations - warnings occured and seemed to prevent it changing. Once these were deleted, and I changed the LAN again and apply'd - it came back up with the new LAN address (even auto adjusted the web page address that was spinning wheel waiting.. so no need to retype that afterwards either).
Plus being dangerous, I had done this over Wifi - so it had dropped and picked up again the IP for the PC.

So at least on that model, it is possible
(Square sided 1.5 - 2 inch wide vertical box)
Standard User everway9
(newbie) Sat 24-Feb-18 19:19:15
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
We see this alot but your friend's workplace IT made a bad choice of LAN addressing and are leaving it to home workers to remidiate frown
Because it's entirely foreseeable before deploying remote access VPN to know what default address ranges are commonly used by home and SOHO routers and choose something else for the workplace (out of the 172. or 10. private ranges).

I remember setting up VPN for my office 5 years ago and in addition to drawing up a compatibility / performance chart for licence-free platform-agnostic client protocols, this was basically item 1 on IP numbering considerations.

That said, I have changed the IP range for my parents Sky router and it did take (I think it's Technicolor but older as it only does .b/g/n and not dual band / .ac Wi-Fi).

When Technicolor was Thomson they did have template based configs perhaps it might be overriding things. Or do Sky routers get routinely reset if the ISP pushes out f/w updates or configs for IPTV?.

Hi. smile

I'm so sorry I have not replied to everyones posts until now. I've been so very busy and have hardly had time to check my emails let alone post on forums. I really appreciate all your posts.

LOL. It was I who set up his router at work. But your bang on right @prizx smile I'm no professional and at the time I set it up I was rather inexperienced with VPN. It's a very small business and they don't have an IT support company. But I've managed to do a little networking for them and set up their VPN access which was working really well until I encountered this little problem. xD

Anyway @prizx ... thank you very much for that post. As soon as I saw it I kicked myself... nothing like missing the obvious eh? Im still chuckling now. smile

@andy88 thank you also. I could have just been a cowboy and changed the IP address on his Sky router but I decided to do the job properly and changed the IP address on the Netgear router at his workplace. Everything works perfectly again now.

Thanks again to all who posted and sorry again for taking so long to get back to you.

Best wishes. smile

Edited by everway9 (Sat 24-Feb-18 19:22:17)

Standard User everway9
(newbie) Sat 24-Feb-18 19:23:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Very useful info. Thanks. smile
  Print Thread

Jump to