Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ladywell0
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 13:22:53
Print Post

Draytek 2850 wouldn't connect VDSL2

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I've just acquired a new Draytek 2850n and I'm trying to connect it to my Vodafone 76mb line but it doesn't seem to connect to the line. I've done the following:
- Called Vodafone and asked about my PPPoE details
- Set the router tag to 101
- I've tried to clone the Mac address of my previous router too from Vodafone

You can find some config pics here:
Imgur with images of the config

Any ideas?

Thanks smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Feb-18 13:37:20
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2850 wouldn't connect VDSL2

[re: ladywell0] [link to this post]

Are you seeing sync/connection speeds i.e. a VDSL2 connection

This is the first step, the authentication follows.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ladywell0
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 14:43:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nope, it doesnt show anything it's almost like the cable wasn't plugged in but it totally works with my Vodafone router. I've heard of something to do with Openreach supporting some routers and not others?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Feb-18 15:20:23
Print Post

In the DSL modem have you tried leaving it set to auto?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Feb-18 17:09:43
Print Post

See the Danylee1980 post on the first page of this thread.

Make sure you use the same parameters. I can't open your config link.

Someone got a Draytek router to work on Vodafone in this thread.

Michael Chare
Standard User ladywell0
(newbie) Wed 21-Feb-18 10:06:32
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I've followed those steps already and nothing, could it be that my router is not supported by the Openreach circuit and it's not getting identified on the Openreach network?
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Feb-18 09:19:12
Print Post

I've used several Draytek 2850s on Openreach FTTC without any issue whatsoever. Are you getting synchronization? If not, try a different cable as not all RJ11 cables are wired the same and you may have managed to switch to one that's different.

You might also want to check to see that the router's not configured for dual DSL mode - https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_vigor_v2850_...

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 24-Feb-18 14:12:58
Print Post

Probably very unlikely, but have you tried another rj11 cable?

As Mr Saffron says, if there is no sync then you need not worry about the authentication.

fwiw, I use a vigor 130 (modem) to connect to Vodafone.

Vodafone Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Sat 24-Feb-18 15:36:01
Print Post

Have you checked firmware upgraded?
Reports say 3.6.8.6 required
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 24-Feb-18 20:02:06
Print Post

I would reset the router to factory defaults
Use the RJ11 cabled supplied with the router
Use the power supply that came with router
I would manually add the username and password
The default MAC address vale has to something other than 0.0.0.0
WAN Connection Detection setting should be PPP Detect

WAN >> General Setup WAN1 - Are you sure VDSL only is correct?
Change the Display Name to a single word

LAN >> General Setup - Screen dump of that page whould have been handy

The router IS suitable for what we wiah to achieve but could of course have a manufactoring fault,
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 24-Feb-18 20:05:52
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Very good point. Draytel say:
Firmware Version 3.6.8.6 (Formal Release)
Release Type Critical Upgrade recommended immediately
Release Date 24th January 2017
Standard User ladywell0
(newbie) Wed 28-Feb-18 10:54:20
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Thanks for all your help on this. I've contacted Vodafone this morning as I've tried all of those things and no luck even after speaking with Draytek's service team. Turns out that Vodafone does not want to confirm if my PPPoE details are right as they don't provide support for non-Openreach approved devices and the Draytek Vigor 2850n is not on that list. I'm so disappointed that my provide who I pay every month regularly wouldn't give me my login details which I own as I pay for their service. They've said that it's their company policy to not to provide connection details to non approved devices.

I've contacted other providers like Uno, IDnet, Zen, AAISP and Aquiss and all agree that the device should work on Openreach networks and that they have client using the same model on their networks.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 28-Feb-18 12:23:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by ladywell0:
Hi there,

Thanks for all your help on this. I've contacted Vodafone this morning as I've tried all of those things and no luck even after speaking with Draytek's service team. Turns out that Vodafone does not want to confirm if my PPPoE details are right as they don't provide support for non-Openreach approved devices and the Draytek Vigor 2850n is not on that list. I'm so disappointed that my provide who I pay every month regularly wouldn't give me my login details which I own as I pay for their service. They've said that it's their company policy to not to provide connection details to non approved devices.

I've contacted other providers like Uno, IDnet, Zen, AAISP and Aquiss and all agree that the device should work on Openreach networks and that they have client using the same model on their networks.

Several issues have come to light on the problem you are facing:
The 2850 is an EOL product as from 2013. This is/was one of the few products that were not approved to be connected to the Openreach network and owners of these routers were offered a discounted upgrade path to select an approved model of their choice but the scheme ended a year or so ago. A google search will probably point to URL https://www.draytek.co.uk/upgrade/ which sadly you seem to have not known about.

Draytek told me that the very earliest VDSL2 products (The Vigor 2850 and 2750, sold until 2013) are not upgradable to SIN498 compliance as the chipsets do not have the capability to support some of the new requirements. They go on to say that DrayTek's products were submitted for testing in 2015 and received a "full pass". The approval covers the Vigor 2860 series, Vigor 2760 series and the Vigor 130 VDSL modem.

So Vodafone's stance on not providing connection details for non-approved devices is perfectly reasonable. The plain fact is that you should never connect a non-approved device to the public network. The fact that you could possibly connect the device to a ISPs and get it to work is neither here or there.

Putting it bluntly you are the owner of a useless piece of hardware which raises the question of how did you obtain it, new or second hand. If new, and registered, then I feel confident you would have been advised by Draytel of the upgrade path. If it was second hand then it is a case of the buyer be aware.

You are unfairly blaming Vodafone on this issue whereas it should be the source of the hardware from which you might get your money back.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Feb-18 12:28:59
Print Post

Vodafone are very clear that they only support their own router. You can't expect ISP support staff to know how every router works.

My notes on how my router for Vodafone is configured are below. I suggest that you check that nothing that you have set in the 2850 conflicts with these details. Another approach would be to find someone with a 2850 used for FTTC who can backup their configuration and then email it to you. Likely you would then only have to change the user and password details.

VDSL...
General
Active Yes
Name : VDSL (Greyed out)
Type : ADSL/VDSL over PTM (Greyed out)
Mode : Routing
Encapsulation: PPPoE
IPv6/IPv4 Mode: IP6/IPv4 DualStack

PPP Information
PPP User Name : dsl000123456@broadband.vodafone.co.uk
PPP Password :
PPP Trigger Type : Auto Connect
Authentication Method: Auto
IDLE Timeout [minutes]: 5 (Greyed out)
PPPoE Service Name : Blank
PPPoE Passthrough : Blank

IP Address
Obtain an IP Address Automatically (Selected)
Static IP Address : Blank
Subnet Mask : Blank
Gateway IP Address : Blank

Routing Feature
NAT Enable: Selected
Fullcone NAT Enable : Blank
IGMP Proxy Enable: Selected
Apply as Default Gateway: Selected

DNS server
DNS: Dynamic
DNS Server 1 : Blank
DNS Server 2 : Blank

IPv6 Address
IPv6 Address: Automatic
Get IPv6 from DHCPv6 Server (A_NA) Not selected
Prefix Delegation (A_PD) Selected

IPv6 Routing Feature
MLD Proxy Enable: Blank
Apply as Default Gateway: Blank

IPv6 DNS Server :
IPv6 DNS: Dynamic
IPv6 DNS Server 1: Blank
IPv6 DNS Server 2: Blank

VLAN
Active : Yes
802.1p : 0
802.1q : 101

QoS
Rate Limit : blank
WAN Outgoing Default Tag : Disable
802.1p Blank (Greyed out)
DSCP : Blank (Greyed out)

MTU
MTU Size : 1492

Bridge and Routing mode in the same WAN
Enable Con-current WAN (not selected)

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Wed 28-Feb-18 12:56:19)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 28-Feb-18 15:43:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Vodafone are very clear that they only support their own router. You can't expect ISP support staff to know how every router works.

My notes on how my router for Vodafone is configured are below.
[SNIP]

You don't say the make and model that you are using or even how you obtained your Vodafone credentials. Or indeed the date your router was brought into service.

Your opening paragraph flies in the face that others have obtained their logon credentions, including yourself. Nobody expects a help desk operative to be an expert on every make and model of router, but what is not unreasobale to ask for are your logon credentials provided your intentions are to use that information in an Openreach approved router..
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Feb-18 20:32:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
You don't say the make and model that you are using or even how you obtained your Vodafone credentials. Or indeed the date your router was brought into service.

The settings are much the same on a number of routers. I configured my router Zyxel VNG8924-B10A based on settings for a different router posted on the Vodafone forum. See link in earlier post.
Your opening paragraph flies in the face that others have obtained their logon credentions, including yourself.
No it does not. For I think not quite a year Vodafone have been willing to provide connection userid and password details if you say you will use a (specific) router on the Openreach list. It can help if you assure them that you do not expect them to tell you how to get the router to work Not everybody gets asked.

I only became a customer when I found out that their policy had been changed.

Michael Chare
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 28-Feb-18 21:40:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by trolleybus:

The settings are much the same on a number of routers. I configured my router Zyxel VNG8924-B10A based on settings for a different router posted on the Vodafone forum. See link in earlier post.
Your opening paragraph flies in the face that others have obtained their logon credentions, including yourself.
No it does not. For I think not quite a year Vodafone have been willing to provide connection userid and password details if you say you will use a (specific) router on the Openreach list. It can help if you assure them that you do not expect them to tell you how to get the router to work Not everybody gets asked.

I only became a customer when I found out that their policy had been changed.

Very good, we are signing for the same hymn sheet. Glad we sorted that out, not that any of this is of help to the OP as the 2850 is not approved.
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-18 11:32:23
Print Post

As OP ha stated recent and new. It brings into question how seller worded item.
It should have said adsl only
Implying vdsl2 would surely be a case for refund.
I was unaware of 2850n problems.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 01-Mar-18 14:46:03
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
As OP ha stated recent and new. It brings into question how seller worded item.
It should have said adsl only
Implying vdsl2 would surely be a case for refund.
I was unaware of 2850n problems.

Re: OP stated recent and new.
That statement has bugged me as well and I can only assume it was a reseller that had old stock, but much more likely an eBay purchase "sold as new and never used". The router was 'not fit for purpose' and a refund sought. Whether that is a possability is a big unknown.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to