Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Mar-18 12:53:21
Print Post

Re: Proven Wi-Fi Hacking

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

No.
Standard User FTTP2
(learned) Tue 06-Mar-18 23:33:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Thanks for raising the point.

One of the other course members is worried about persons gaining access to his WiFi signals by logging in from outside his house, ie managing to gain access by somehow discovering the conventional Password etc,

That is - NOT by actually accessing/changing the Router Software or anything akin to that,

I am more worried about people hacking the router/modem (and then the network) rather than the wifi (you do need to be in proximity!)

On another note, it is sometimes easy once you get wifi access somewhere to just log in into their router/modem since it still has the default password
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Mar-18 06:52:20
Print Post

[re: FTTP2] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

I did suggest to the course member that he loads a WiFi monitoring program on a suitable laptop; and carry out a survey in and around his home, to get some idea how far its range is; as a first approach to understanding the situation.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 07-Mar-18 07:58:40
Print Post

For the most part, the worst case scenario is that someone uses your internet for a bit.

When I did it, it was for a couple of weeks until my Broadband got installed, and I didn't harm anyone.

That said, wifi with the right kit can have a pretty decent range. My ubiquiti access points regularly detect the free wifi on passing trains, and the train line is ~365 meters away as the crow flies, through other houses etc.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Mar-18 08:37:00
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

And if someone wants to access then using directional antennas and good wifi equipment would give significantly better range than a "standard" device. Wifi cards in devices can vary quite widely as far as signal capability and so whilst using a device to confirm coverage will give some information it is only giving information for that device and someone wanting to hack the network is likely to have much better equipment they can use with longer reach.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Mar-18 10:15:43
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Is the railway line on an embankment, viaduct or some other raised position?

Interesting, thinking that the trains themselves are almost enclosed metal tubes.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Mar-18 10:32:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Agreed that all that is possible; but the more gear involved, the more likely that such a hacker would be more readily identifiable, except in enclosed, hidden situations such as blocks of flats.

-----------------

I am well aware of such possibilities, the 3 cm RADAR system I taught had 260 dipoles - the 10cm set had one single aperture aerial - all mounted on a trailer about the size of a medium-sized removal truck; and including 4 operators and 2 technicians normally.

Teaching classes of six to 9 trainees in such cramped conditions, tuning up the two EHT systems under live working conditions whilst kneeling on wet steel-plate floors made life rather interesting, then getting each raw trainee to do so safely!

And that was inside the trailer.

Less frequently we had to make adjustments outside, no matter the weather.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 07-Mar-18 10:54:11
Print Post

My recent experience is detailed in THIS thread.

For me it all started with what I thought was harmless use by someone very close by. In the end my router was hacked and trashed.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Wed 07-Mar-18 15:30:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thank you for your very clear explanation. I've often wondered whether this could be done.
Standard User Mml
(regular) Wed 07-Mar-18 20:10:54
Print Post

enusec had a master class last year where they demonstrated, among other things, cracking Wi-Fi secured by WPA2. They are having another event this weekend, chances are they’ll do another demonstration. Check their YouTube channel this weekend, they will probably be live streaming it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to