Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-May-18 15:22:37
Print Post

Re: Proven Wi-Fi Hacking

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
They are infecting people's machines by getting people to click on links and then install malware to mine bitcoin or whatever. No need to hack WiFi for that.

I'm aware of that - I was trying to add some input to the topic in as much as people who "Hack" will generally go for the low hanging fruit first.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-May-18 19:06:34
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

This concept of not noticing who is on your home WiFi I believe will become less prevalent. I'm doing a bit of a stint out in the US right now for work and Xfinity (Comcast) have user access pretty nailed down on their new ISP routers. You essentially can do a bunch of things like setup times for the kids to be online, setup certain users parental controls and others no restrictions, have priority devices such as TV streaming boxex etc. It even breaks down usage per user etc.This is on the ISP provided gateway, so standard now... I would expect if the comcast / sky merger goes ahead, the same type of tech to be carried over (possibly).

A brief look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSNsxwzYZJk

In the UK, things such as the BT Whole Home WiFi provide similar dashboards.

As the GUIs get better and more "app" friendly awareness will probably rise...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 07-May-18 19:09:20)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-May-18 20:32:18
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

That is interesting. I could improve my security by enabling MAC Restriction mode but that does take extra effort.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-May-18 07:37:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
That is interesting. I could improve my security by enabling MAC Restriction mode but that does take extra effort.

Restricting access by MAC is a waste of time, people can just change their MAC Addresses, I have a Tablet where the MAC Address is different every time I start the Wi-Fi, I also have network hardware that use Software MAC Addressing, so that won't work.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-18 22:46:58
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Perhaps a future feature could be WiFi On demand (Unless it already exists), essentially building flexibility on top of features like "active on hours" setup in the router.

So using any activating means that you like, ie sitting in your favourite chair or perhaps a certain hand gesture, could then activate your Wifi rather than having it active 24/7.

It would save energy (I know, a very small amount) but it would mean those wardriving would more likely miss your WiFi setup.
Or if the Wifi Handshake is all too slow, you could use an additional option on the routers firewall eg enable/disable all ports which could be activated far more quickly.

Edited by Vorlon (Tue 08-May-18 22:50:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-May-18 23:14:38
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Wi-Fi power saving modes already exist

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to