Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-18 08:48:01
Print Post

Cloudflare DNS

[link to this post]

Cloudflare recently launched their consumer DNS service which they say is the "fastest, privacy-first consumer DNS" :

https://1.1.1.1/

Seems to be faster than the likes of Google DNS, OpenDNS etc according to tests i did using DNS Benchmark.

For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 07-Apr-18 13:00:57)

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Fri 13-Apr-18 19:05:43
Print Post

Re: Cloudflare DNS

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

This is not universal.

I tried this on Virgin Media and their DNS servers were the fastest.
1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 were about 30th, slower than the Google pair...

Edited by John_Gray (Fri 13-Apr-18 19:06:18)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 19:19:48
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 were about 30th, slower than the Google pair...

That's weird, DNSPerf puts Cloudflare DNS way ahead of Google DNS. Also confirmed by DNS Benchmark.

https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Fri 13-Apr-18 20:30:01
Print Post

but it does put it last for quality
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Apr-18 20:44:35
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Could that be because it monitored before the service was officially live?

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-18 19:35:03
Print Post

It's particularly useful if you have a DNS forwarder (unbound) that can communicate with it on port 853 (secure DNS). Managed to get this working a couple of days ago on a test unbound instance, and it works out the box.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/dns-over-tls-for-openwrt/

So excluding a VPN, if all the services you access are secure (HTTPS, IMAPS, Secure-DNS, etc), then your ISP can't see anything you're doing online*. Pretty cool.

* well, they can still see source/destination addresses, but as far as packet content goes, nothing.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 Cloudflare Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Sat 14-Apr-18 19:39:49)

Standard User zzing123
(newbie) Fri 04-May-18 16:44:17
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

If you're using unbound, it's even better just to use it as a full resolver by itself and no forwarding whatsoever and using the root DNS servers directly - once the cache has warmed up it's stupid fast. By default, unbound is designed to run on tiny hardware, but by configuring the buffers and cache size appropriately, it's stupid fast even as a fully resolving (against root DNS) server.

Using DNS over TLS (port 853) slows down uncached DNS querying dramatically as it has to use TCP for starters, incurring an extra round trip packet then encryption overhead, which I don't think uses AES-NI (yet). Until the root DNS servers support TLS, unbound actually offloads the TLS processing, I won't bother with it.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-May-18 20:06:58
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

A lot of records these days have a very low TTL so not sure cache makes much difference in a home network?

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User zzing123
(newbie) Sat 05-May-18 15:31:35
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Let's benchmark it:

I'm using unbound with the same configuration for each run, and Gibson's DNS Benchmark with DNSSEC testing enabled for all runs. The DNS server is the same across each, with only the forwarding configuration changed. I tested at the end of my VDSL line on an 80/20 connection.

20 pings to 1.1.1.1 (in ms):
Min: 5.116
Avg: 5.537
Max: 6.015
StdDev: 0.232

Fully Recursing to root DNS servers (UDP/53, in s):
Cached:
Min: 0.000
Avg: 0.000
Max: 0.001
StdDev: 0.000

Uncached:
Min: 0.005
Avg: 0.047
Max: 0.239
StdDev: 0.065

Dotcom:
Min: 0.008
Avg: 0.058
Max: 0.101
StdDev: 0.041

Normally forwarding through 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 (UDP/53, in s):

Uncached:
Min: 0.006
Avg: 0.060
Max: 0.571
StdDev: 0.110

Dotcom:
Min: 0.007
Avg: 0.017
Max: 0.069
StdDev: 0.015

DNS over TLS Forwarding to 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 (TCP/853, in s):
Cached:

Uncached:
Min: 0.069
Avg: 0.116
Max: 0.332
StdDev: 0.072

Dotcom:
Min: 0.068
Avg: 0.095
Max: 0.171
StdDev: 0.036

Conclusions:
1. Be aware that the pings are in ms and the DNS results are in seconds.

2. The Minimum uncached speed (0.005s) is the same as my ping time (5ms), meaning that my DNS resolution floor is the same as my line's latency.

3. This is the reason you use a caching DNS server on a local network: all cached results are basically 0 regardless of the method used to resolve by the server, and you bypass the latency on your line entirely, and I appreciate that my 5ms latency is much better than most folks.

4. The Maximum uncached speed is 239ms, which is when unbound has to traverse the entire DNS tree. For a worst case, that's ludicrously fast.

5. Using Cloudflare forwarding improves the Dotcom speed (common sites), but degrades the Uncached speed (worst case lookups), which makes sense as you're hitting a much more thoroughly tuned cache from thousands of users.

6. It is very strange that Cloudflare is slower to lookup uncached results, especially since Cloudflare host a very large fraction of the authoritative DNS records themselves, but the stats don't lie.

7. Using DNS over TLS halves the speed, again which makes sense as it is using TCP instead of UDP and has to roundtrip-ACK each packet, but in the worst case it doesn't make any difference. You can also see it's not exactly twice the times, because TCP is often prioritised over UDP.

So while I take your point that there are plenty of records that have a low TTL, you can also configure your local DNS server to basically say the TTL floor is 5 seconds or something (ie cache 0 TTL's for 5 seconds regardless), and save the DNS server doing extra effort. While it may be less accurate, it's so much faster and waiting 5 seconds for a domain to resolve properly is within the realm of a retry timeout.

The other thing to understand that is while DNS traffic can be sniffed, remember the fact that DNSSEC is also being used in the benchmarks above, so results cannot be faked. In other words, an ISP or 3rd party can see what I'm querying, but they can't do anything about it by spoofing the results like they normally do.

To stop them seeing, you need to use DNS over at tunnel. TLS is basically SSL with a modern cipher suite and SSL has always been a TCP-based tunnelling mechanism. OpenVPN and tinc however use UDP, so you can achieve the same (and probably faster) as DNS-over-TLS with using normal DNS through a VPN, knowing that OpenVPN and tinc will use OpenSSL's AES-NI acceleration to full capability as well.

The key takeaway, therefore is that DNS over TLS is a gimmick and doesn't provide any real upside. If prying eyes is a problem: use a VPN. If not, then a fully recursing DNS resolver is a much better solution, and you don't have to implicitly trust Cloudflare (even though they're damned good) either.

Proof enough?
  Print Thread

Jump to