Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitfit1
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-18 21:24:15
Print Post

Re: Mesh Wi-Fi options

[re: broadstairs] [link to this post]

Just going to throw my two penneth worth in here.
I live in a largish house with solid walls everywhere. For a long time i was ok with an Asus RTN-56U, my main computer was connected via Lan and nobody really used wireless in my house. That changed when a "new" lady moved in. It became obvious the wi-fi across the house was rubbish, so i started looking at other options. I looked at and eventually bought Orbi.

Yes, there are issues with Orbi. 1st is that the USB ports are just dummies and of course don't work. 2nd is that ISPV6 dosn't work either, regardless of what ever you do.

But the most important thing about Orbi, is that it absolutely will give you full speed wi-fi over even a very solidly built house.

In my case by the way, i just use the Orbi as my wi-fi. The router is turned off and i use my Fritzbox 3490 as a router (so IPV6 works) with it's wi-fi turned off and also it's modem, because i use a Vigor 130 as the modem (it connects at a much higher speed than the Fritzbox).

I get 70.3Mbps down from our hosts connected by Lan to my Fritzbox. Over wi-fi anyware in my house or garden for that matter i can get 65Mps down from our hosts.........................................to me that's a win all round.

But yes, i had to go some working out to come to my setup...............................Netgear themselves are liars when they say IPV6 works on Orbi......................as for the USB ports on both the router and the satellite.....................not even a joke could be made of them.
Standard User NJSS
(member) Thu 11-Oct-18 17:50:54
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I too went for the ApliFi system and am very pleased with it.

I currently have one Home Mesh Router and 3 x HD Mesh Points which provide good coverage throughout my "L shaped" 400 year old house with solid walls everywhere.

I am now going to extend the wi-fi to cover my detached office, in the garden, and am contemplating adding a second AmpliFi router, rather than Mesh Point, as I am told this is a better solution, but am somewhat anxious as to how to accomplish this with a wi-fi backhaul.

I have had some help in this thread which pointed me here.

I would appreciate reassurance before I take the plunge, has anyone here tried this with a wireless backhaul?

NJSS

Standard User RogerTheDodger
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-18 23:00:40
Print Post

[re: broadstairs] [link to this post]

I have thr BT system and I agree that there are problems, particularly with the firmware when setting up. However, none of these problems have been too much of a challenge and once it was up and running it has been excellent in performance and reliability. This is despite foil backed plasterboard everywhere and lots of metal in the internal walls of the house. Four discs cover a 1300square foot house plus the whole garden with no discernable loss of speed compared with PC wired directly to the hub. I think it is a good solution and better value for money than other options.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to