Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadstairs
(newbie) Sat 22-Sep-18 12:42:27
Print Post

Mesh Wi-Fi options

[link to this post]

I am trying to find a reasonably priced mesh wi-fi solution for my house. My problem is that I don't want equipment which handles the PPPoE(A) connection but something which simply needs to be connected to my existing router to provide my wi-fi in the house just like an access point would. Apart from the BT Home stuff I have yet to find anything which clearly states it can be used like this. I don't want to have to use a separate modem and then a LAN switch to provide my needed wired LAN connection, but continue to use my existing router as a modem/router with its LAN connections and turn off the wi-fi.

Does anyone know if there is anything like this which clearly states it can work like this in the documentation, apart from the BT stuff which does not seem to get good reviews?

Stuart
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-18 21:44:17
Print Post

Re: Mesh Wi-Fi options

[re: broadstairs] [link to this post]

I have just bought the Zyxel mesh system after months of trying to pick a decent platform. So far its working just fine and does what it says on the tin.
Zyxel Multy

Read some of the reviews and watch some of the YouTube clips.

I have it sitting behind a standard Openreach modem although you can use a normal router set to bridge mode the same way.

I discounted the Netgear Orbi after reading extensively about the constant firmware problems and also I have recently sent back a Netgear D7800 because of another issue regarding not being able to detect the DSL cable.....

If you have any specific questions that I can answer about it please feel free to ask.
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-18 07:57:52
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. I have a problem with all of these devices I have read about so far and that is they seem to all connect to a modem rather than a local Lan port on a router. I do not want to use my router in modem only mode as I need telnet access to it for line stats and although it can be done when in modem only mode it complicates things and would need messing around to get it connected.

Also this set is rather more money than I wanted to spend.

So I guess I still need to ask is there a device which connects via the local Lan on a router and not direct to a modem?

Stuart

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-18 08:11:22
Print Post

Instead of paying £100s on a mesh system, buy a router such as the Netgear R7800 or Synology RT2600AC (currently the best routers for wifi range) and use them in Access Point mode by connecting them to the LAN port of your existing router.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-18 08:16:36
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I tried that but it is a problem in our house for a number of reasons and means devices get interrupted when they switch between signals.

Stuart
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-18 08:25:57
Print Post

In that case you will need to invest in a mesh wifi system but it has nothing to do with your modem. The system will simply extend your existing wifi from your current router.

https://www.the-ambient.com/reviews/best-wifi-mesh-s...

Probably worth going for the BT mesh system as its priced reasonably (starting from £99) and gets good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-ever...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 25-Sep-18 08:29:07)

Standard User redbutcher
(regular) Tue 25-Sep-18 12:47:50
Print Post

Funnily enough I have a Netgear R7800 router and also the BT mesh wireless system.

BT Mesh system works very well - much better than the R7800 wireless offering. I now get decent WiFi reception throughout the property (Victorian terrace with proper walls) using 3 dishes.

I picked mine up from Amazon Warehouse deals when they had the 20% off deal and bought two double packs and sold the additional dish on eBay which pretty much covered the cost of the second pack.

Then Sky Fibre Max 79999/19999
Now VM VIVID 200

Edited by redbutcher (Tue 25-Sep-18 12:48:36)

Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 25-Sep-18 17:03:07
Print Post

What's wrong with the BT Whole Home system? It is the cheapest on the market and does exactly what you want. The D-Link COVR is routerless as well I believe. The only issue with both IMHO is lack of PoE.

Note I would strongly advise moving heaven and earth to get a wired backhaul for any access points you use.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-18 17:55:45
Print Post

I went for this ApliFi system.

https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-amplifi-hd-kit-h...

It's very good. Originally tried the Netgear Orbi but wasn't that impressed and you couldn't get (at the time) an additional satellite for it. The antennas were massive however and a bit unsightly.

The UBNT stuff is much nicer and is streamlined with the plug socket so you don't need cables all over the place.

Solved my coverage issues and has been very very reliable since installation.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-18 18:25:47
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
What's wrong with the BT Whole Home system? It is the cheapest on the market and does exactly what you want. The D-Link COVR is routerless as well I believe. The only issue with both IMHO is lack of PoE.

Note I would strongly advise moving heaven and earth to get a wired backhaul for any access points you use.

I have read some less than favourable reviews of it, however obviously I have no knowledge of any of this kit yet.

Stuart
Standard User kitfit1
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-18 21:24:15
Print Post

Just going to throw my two penneth worth in here.
I live in a largish house with solid walls everywhere. For a long time i was ok with an Asus RTN-56U, my main computer was connected via Lan and nobody really used wireless in my house. That changed when a "new" lady moved in. It became obvious the wi-fi across the house was rubbish, so i started looking at other options. I looked at and eventually bought Orbi.

Yes, there are issues with Orbi. 1st is that the USB ports are just dummies and of course don't work. 2nd is that ISPV6 dosn't work either, regardless of what ever you do.

But the most important thing about Orbi, is that it absolutely will give you full speed wi-fi over even a very solidly built house.

In my case by the way, i just use the Orbi as my wi-fi. The router is turned off and i use my Fritzbox 3490 as a router (so IPV6 works) with it's wi-fi turned off and also it's modem, because i use a Vigor 130 as the modem (it connects at a much higher speed than the Fritzbox).

I get 70.3Mbps down from our hosts connected by Lan to my Fritzbox. Over wi-fi anyware in my house or garden for that matter i can get 65Mps down from our hosts.........................................to me that's a win all round.

But yes, i had to go some working out to come to my setup...............................Netgear themselves are liars when they say IPV6 works on Orbi......................as for the USB ports on both the router and the satellite.....................not even a joke could be made of them.
Standard User NJSS
(member) Thu 11-Oct-18 17:50:54
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I too went for the ApliFi system and am very pleased with it.

I currently have one Home Mesh Router and 3 x HD Mesh Points which provide good coverage throughout my "L shaped" 400 year old house with solid walls everywhere.

I am now going to extend the wi-fi to cover my detached office, in the garden, and am contemplating adding a second AmpliFi router, rather than Mesh Point, as I am told this is a better solution, but am somewhat anxious as to how to accomplish this with a wi-fi backhaul.

I have had some help in this thread which pointed me here.

I would appreciate reassurance before I take the plunge, has anyone here tried this with a wireless backhaul?

NJSS

Standard User RogerTheDodger
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-18 23:00:40
Print Post

I have thr BT system and I agree that there are problems, particularly with the firmware when setting up. However, none of these problems have been too much of a challenge and once it was up and running it has been excellent in performance and reliability. This is despite foil backed plasterboard everywhere and lots of metal in the internal walls of the house. Four discs cover a 1300square foot house plus the whole garden with no discernable loss of speed compared with PC wired directly to the hub. I think it is a good solution and better value for money than other options.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to